Amy Palmer's Reviews > Heart of the Game: Life, Death, and Mercy in Minor League America

Heart of the Game by S.L. Price

Apr 22, 11

bookshelves: baseball, to-buy
Recommended for: Baseball enthusiasts
Read from March 27 to April 11, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

"Heart of the Game" follows two "lifers" in baseball: Mike Coolbaugh and Tino Sanchez. Their paths became forever entwined on July 22, 2007 when Tino hit a foul ball that struck Mike in the neck, killing him almost instantly. On that day, Mike was coaching and Tino was playing for the Tulsa Drillers, a Texas league team and AA affiliate of the Colorado Rockies.

Each chapter discusses first Mike, then Tino. The reader learns about their youth, their road to professional baseball and about their lives outside of baseball. The book gives an inside glimpse into the world of baseball and what it's like for most of the men who play it, like Mike and Tino. Along with telling about the ups and downs of a lifer's career, some eerie coincidences are revealed.

If you are a baseball fan, especially a minor league fan, this is a great book to read. It has it's happy moments, but it is a melancholy tale of what life is really like when you're trying to break into the majors or fighting to stay there. I feel like by reading it I was let into a secret club where I got to know what is really happening on the field when I'm cheering on my favorite team.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Game.

03/28/2011 page 42
13.0% "Very well-written. I'm instantly hooked!"
04/02/2011 page 73
23.0% "I'm loving this book. It's not just about Mike Coolbaugh; it's also about Tino Sanchez and the game itself."
04/07/2011 page 189
59.0% "The chapter about players injured/killed reminds me of Bryce Florie, the former Wichita & then Red Sox pitcher hit in the face by a line drive. That was a scary moment."
04/07/2011 page 241
75.0% ""You lose your minor league team, it sends the wrong message to the community and the world that there's something wrong with the town: It's not supporting organizations; It's not a good place to live." Sound familiar, Wichita?"
show 1 hidden update…