Lisa's Reviews > Flash Burnout

Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan

Mar 27, 11

Brief synopsis: Blake is a teenage boy with a girlfriend (Shannon) and a girl friend (Marissa). As part of a photo class assignment, he unwittingly takes a picture of Marissa's long-lost, meth addicted mother. And so the roller coaster ride begins...

This was one of those books that I kept reading to see what comes next but then I was so disappointed when the book is over. The ending was a bit more open ended than I would've liked, but I'm a "dot all the i's and cross all the t's" type of reader.

I really liked the character of Blake. I thought it was a pretty realistic portrayal of your average middle-class teenage boy. Not a saint, but basically a good kid. He likes his cool teachers and is less than thrilled with the uncool ones. He doesn't love everything about his family, but he does love them. He's a bit of a comedian, and the humor helps lighten the sometimes heavy topics dealt with in the book.

And, as much as this book is about the plot, relationships are an equally important part - the relationships between Blake and his brother, Blake and his parents, Marissa and her meth addict mother, Blake's relationship with Shannon as girlfriend and Marissa as a (girl) friend. All of these give the story depth.

A great story about family and friendship.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flash Burnout.