Marianne's Reviews > City of Glass

City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

May 12, 11

bookshelves: 2011reads, fiction, friendship, going-to-be-a-film, love, fantasy, family, vampires, ya
Read from May 09 to 12, 2011

I really enjoyed this and I was so pleased that the trilogy ended strongly with pretty much everything wrapped up. Of course there were some open ends so that the series can continue, and I won't complain about that at all, but as an 'end' book, this is what I hoped Breaking Dawn was going to be with the scale of the battle and chaos. I was going to give it five stars and no doubt I may go back in the coming days and adjust it, but there were a few little things that held me back such as the Mark Of Cain ruin and a couple of Clary 'moments' that kinda irked me slightly.

Clary...as with the second book, I still found Clary more than a little annoying on ocassion and I will not lie - part of me was more than happy when Luke and Jace yelled her out at the start of the book. If ever a character needed a slap around the head to snap them out of being self-absorbed it was her and even at the end her talk with Simon about 'make sure you have time for me', is it just me who finds that level of 'me, me, me, me, me' irritating? Don't get me wrong though, for a lot of the book I did enjoy her again. She was a bit more mature and contributed positively more often than not and I thought she was exceptionally good with Jace when he was in his woe is me phase and wasn't needlessly cruel like she had been in the previous book.

Jace is still a fascinating character - so dark yet so fundamentally good and I've seen some hints from the author that he's going to be darker in the fifth book, but I hope not too much because he is a good guy and his life has been universally crappy until that point so I'm hoping for some good things for him in the end up. I love a tortured hero, what can I say.

The contrast between Jace and Sebastian/Jonathan was a lot of fun and although I anticipated a twist, I wasn't really anticipating that and their showdown, the reasons they were what they were was handled really well. Nature vs nurture had a relevance in a YA novel, who knew??

The storyline of the book - it was dark (extremely so in places) and it was better for it. It was a war and bad things happen, and Valentine was a psychopath and he did some bad things and even his warped justification for it was chilling. Clary thinks something near the end about how can you hate someone for being a monster when they don't even realise they are a monster? And in a weird way that's exactly it. He does these evil things and you hate him for it but at the same time you know he believes he's justified for doing it so it's almost like a sickness.

All in all, I thought it was great and I'm really regretting not having COFA on hand to jump straight back in, but I'll get there soon. It was a very enjoyable, easy to read first half though and I'm looking forward to the characters maturing and hopefully growing some more in the second half of the series. The rest of the books have a lot to live up to with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Glass.

Quotes Marianne Liked

Cassandra Clare
“Not everything is about you," Clary said furiously.
"Possibly," Jace said, "but you do have to admit that the majority of things are.”

Cassandra Clare
“I was thinking about the first time I ever saw you," he said, "and how after that I couldn't forget you. I wanted to, but I couldn't stop myself. I forced Hodge to let me be the one who came to find you and bring you back to the Institue. And even back then, in that stupid coffee shop, when I saw you sitting on that couch with Simon, even then that felt wrong to me-- I should have been the one sitting with you. The one who made you laugh like that. I couldn't get rid of that feeling. That it should have been me. And the more I knew you, the more I felt it--it had never been like that for me before. I'd always wanted a girl and then gotten to know her and not wanted her anymore, but with you the feeling just got stronger and stronger until that night when you showed up at Renwick's and I knew.”

Cassandra Clare
“And I'm suppose to sit by while you date boys and fall in love with someone else, get married...?" His voice tightened. "And meanwhile, I'll die a little bit more every day, watching.”

Cassandra Clare
“There is no pretending," Jace said with absolute clarity. "I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then.”

Cassandra Clare
“I am a man" he told her, "and men do not consume pink beverages. Get thee gone woman, and bring me something brown.”

Cassandra Clare
“People aren't born good or bad. Maybe they're born with tendencies either way, but its the way you live your life that matters.”

Cassandra Clare
“You could have had anything else in the world, and you asked for me."
She smiled up at him. Filthy as he was, covered in blood and dirt, he was the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen.
"But I don't want anything else in the world.”

Cassandra Clare
“And now I’m looking at you,” he said, “and you’re asking me if I still want you, as if I could stop loving you. As if I would want to give up the thing that makes me stronger than anything else ever has. I never dared give much of myself to anyone before – bits of myself to the Lightwoods, to Isabelle and Alec, but it took years to do it – but, Clary, since the first time I saw you, I have belonged to you completely. I still do. If you want me.”

Cassandra Clare
“Have you tried talking to her?"
"No. We've been punching her in the face repeatedly. What? You don't think that will work?”

Cassandra Clare
“I know it's wrong - God, it's all kinds of wrong - but I just want to lie down with you and wake up with you, just once, just once ever in my life.”

05/09/2011 page 136