Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Eon: Dragoneye Reborn

Eon by Alison Goodman

Jul 31, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2011, ya
Read from July 15 to 22, 2011

Give this a 3 star after much thought. I enjoyed it, but my love of girls pretending to be boys cannot overcome Eona's cluelessness. I have to take away some demerits to encourage less stupidity in the future. I'm sure you understand.

I liked it and plan to read the sequel BUT I wanted Eon to be smarter. Seriously I figured out everything pretty much immediately and she was all like "AHHH I don't know & I don't want anyone to know I don't know" for like half the book. And I was like "DUDE I don't even know anything about the world you live in AND EVEN I KNOW." She seemed to create half of her own problems by ignoring the obvious answer.

Maybe the MC I've been reading lately are just super smart (Georgia in Feed, Alexia in Heartless, intelligent women) and I'm asking too much of Eon/Eona. But I wanted an Alanna, a Daine, a Kelandry and she was not that. She was a pawn in a powerful game and I'm not sure I should hold that against her but I kinda do because she kept letting herself be a pawn even when she didn't have to.

For an EXCELLENT explanation of why this book got 3 starts I'll point you to Flannery's review which has a bar graph. Doesn't bar graphs make you feel warm and fuzzy inside? What they don't? Weirdo!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eon.

07/20/2011 page 310
58.0% "So I like this book so far. BUT I feel like Eon is a little clueless. She's running around freaking out about not having the name & it seems the fact the dragon said EONA is a big clue right there. I want her to be smarter than this!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Flannery Yes! Totally about the Alanna thing. Tamora Pierce always writes strong female characters. I'm reading Feed now and you can always tell when these female characters are sharp. It is so frustrating to read about characters like Eona when the whole time you are just saying, "really? REALLY? You don't see it? REALLY?!?" Blaaaah.

Have you read #2 yet?

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Feed is really good. As far as main characters go, Georgia is one you really root for because she's smart and extremely ethical.

I don't know why I thought this was going to be more like an Alanna. I think I miss Tamora Pierce heroines. Might be time for another re-read of the Lioness Quartet.

Haven't read the 2nd yet. Not sure if my library has it or not. I want to but I'm not in a hurry.

Shannon Carpenter Have you read Stephanie Barron's Jane austen mysteries? I've read numerous books on your read list and I think you'll like them!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Shannon wrote: "Have you read Stephanie Barron's Jane austen mysteries? I've read numerous books on your read list and I think you'll like them!"

No I haven't. What's the first? I'll see what I think.

Terry Johnson yes, it's currently very frustrating! But still a fantastic read! I'm hoping Eon starts figuring things out!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Terry wrote: "yes, it's currently very frustrating! But still a fantastic read! I'm hoping Eon starts figuring things out!"

Eventually. Have you already figured it out and are currently waiting for Eon to catch up with you?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you, Cassi. I am reading it right now, and I am finding it hard to relate to Eon/a. Her simpering attitude is ruining the book for me.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Isn't it so frustrating to read at times?

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

It is...