Kate's Reviews > Sweet Revenge

Sweet Revenge by Andrea Penrose

May 03, 11

Read from May 01 to 03, 2011

I don't usually read "period books," but the concept of this one intrigued me. The main character, Arianna, pretends to be a man so that she can be hired as a chef in an high society home in London. She plans to use her disguise to learn more about the aristocracy because she is convinced that one of her employer's friends murdered her father. But when a prince is poisoned after eating one of her chocolate dishes, Arianna is forced to flee. She ends up helping the earl who was hired to investigate the poisoning, and they create a new persona for her so that she can entrench herself in society once more (this time as a wealthy widow) to investigate the poisoning, as well as her father's death. This book was really interesting, and the main character's disguises and deceptions added a constant element of danger. The mystery was complex, which I liked, as was Arianna's relationship with the earl. My only complaint is that I wish the chocolate recipes at the beginning of each chapter would have corresponded with what Arianna made or ate in the book- it seemed a bit disjointed. Other than that I can't wait for the next in the series!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Revenge.