RachelAnne's Reviews > The Spell Book of Listen Taylor

Mar 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: novels, magical-realism
Read in March, 2011

Caveat Emptor This is a revised edition of I Have A Bed Made Of Buttermilk Pancakes (see my sad, sad story below). Also, it is NOT a YA book unless you believe that every book which has any character under the age of 20 should be shelved in YA. This is a thoughtful adult novel, and nowhere near as hilarious as the jacket would lead one to believe. I love the germ of inspiration Moriarty had around the Zing family secret, but for my own enjoyment I wish she had focused more on that and on more whimsical, upbeat plotlines & themes rather than narratives of infidelity and betrayal. It is a beautifully crafted novel, but to market this as either humor or YA is simply going to create false expectations & disappointment, while people who might otherwise read the book pass over it based on the misleading jacket.

Evan & I love Moriarty's other books, so for a special birthday gift a few years ago, I special-ordered a copy of I Have A Bed Made Of Buttermilk Pancakes (paperback, with an ugly cover), which hadn't been published in the U.S. Then, in 2007, around Evan's birthday, I spotted The Spell Book of Listen Taylor and thought "Aha! A new Jaclyn Moriarty novel!" and bought him a copy of that novel-- only to find out that it was THE SAME BOOK. CHEAP TRICK! I would have gladly saved a bunch of money on importing a paperback had I known it would eventually be available here in hardback, and we were both hoping for a NEW BOOK. Is librarianship making me jaded, or are publishers increasingly trying to screw us all over? (Please feel free to comment)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Spell Book of Listen Taylor.