Blodeuedd Finland's Reviews > Wolfsangel

Apr 07, 11

bookshelves: fantasy, historical-fiction
Read from March 24 to 27, 2011

My thoughts:
I heard some buzz about this book and got intrigued, Vikings, magic and werewolves, that sure caught my attention. It isn't the easiest book to describe; it is a strange book, like a dream or a tale told long ago by the people living in the North. There Lachlan succeeded, I did feel the Norse Sagas over this story.

The book is dark and brutal. It tells the story of two boys, Vale who grows up not wanting to fight, and falling for a farmgirl. He is to become the Big Bad Wolf that can bring down a God. But in the beginning he is nice, and righteous. He does not want to look up to the Gods of War and instead he looks to Loki the trickster who laughs at the Gods. Even when he is plummeting into darkness I like him, and when I say dark, I mean pitch-black, crazy and lost. His brother is raised by Berserks and then by Wolfmen, he is also a Wolf. A bit crazy, also lost, and seems to be the violent one. This is a tale in which you do not know what will happen.

The magic in this one is true to its origin, runes, witches, and people nearing drowning for a glimpse of the future. It's magic that is real, but at the same time you just do not know, perhaps it is all a coincidence?

The book itself is about growing up, finding yourself, doing the right thing, and in the end, being a mere plaything for gods, or should we say the destroyer of them. Because at the end of time Ragnarök will come, the last battle where Odin is killed by the Fenris wolf. And in this book we meet the Fenris wolf, Odin, and Loki who fathered the wolf. But this book does not end the way you think it will, because there is a second book, though at the same time there is an end. Why? Well you will just have to read to find out.

Conclusion:
It was a good book, and if you like adventure, vikings, magic, and fighting then this is the book for you. It is fantasy dipped in reality, a strange dream and a time when Gods were real and present. A time where a new religion started to emerge in the North. And it's the story of the werewolf. It is the Norse sagas told with modern language, and with a totally new spin to things.

Rating;
I actually have no idea how to rate this book. Because it was just so different. He sure has a way of words. So to the point, a good book

2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsangel.