Sirenprincess's Reviews > Clarity

Clarity by Kim Harrington

Mar 28, 11

bookshelves: favorite-books
Recommended for: teen paranormal romance fans
Read from March 27 to 28, 2011

I received a free Advanced Reader Copy of this book. I wasn't expecting much out of it, just a simple paranormal teen book. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised. This is a GREAT BOOK.

The main focus of the book is a murder/mystery. I'm not normally too big a fan of that genre, but this one is particularly well done. The book gives you a lot of suspects to ponder, and interesting clues and red herrings. What made this one work for me was that all of the puzzle pieces did fit together. Often books like this have this big surprise ending that seems random and out of nowhere, but that is not the case for this book. Also this book really made the case personal, which made me care about it a lot more.

There's a great paranormal aspect to this book, which is why I wanted to read it. Clarity can see memories from touching objects. Her mother is a telepath that can read only the active thoughts that people are thinking. Her brother can communicate with the dead. All of the powers are clearly defined but don't give the characters way too much power. The use of the powers is consistent. And it's a really fascinating take on paranormal powers.

This book also has a bit of teen romance. There are several different potential love interests for Clarity, and I really liked the boys. This is a TEEN book, and the romance isn't the main focus, but it was enough to really keep my interest. As a reader who normally prefers paranormal romances, this one definitely drew me in, but the book isn't all about romance.

The very best thing about this book is the characters. Clarity is an awesome, kick-butt girl. She seems like a real teenager. She's not perfect and little miss Mary Sue, but she's not timid and overly self-conscious either. She's a normal teenage girl that defends herself when she needs. She thinks like a normal teenager girl, and her world seems accurate for teenage America. I could easily see my teenage self in her, she seemed so realistic. Clarity isn't the only awesome character, though. Her mother is actually pretty cool, and it's refreshing to read a book where there is a real relationship between the teens and a parent. There are also quite a few guys that my heart really felt for. Perry, Justin, and Gabriel were all likable but realistic guys. They have flaws. They do dumb things. But they're written in a way that makes you understand them and feel a lot of compassion for them.

My only complaint about this book is that it's rather short. I read it in just a few hours. However that isn't a big complaint. Sometimes it's nice to enjoy a short, quick read. Nothing in the book felt overly rushed. The ending set things up for a sequel, and I really, really hope there's going to be one. This book was well-written in a relaxed, easy-read style. It's definitely made me a Kim Harrington fan, and I can't wait to find out what happens next with Clarity.

For me, this book was almost like a teen version of the Sookie Stackhouse novels. No vampires in this one, but it has a murder/mystery that's solved in one book and an over-arching plotline of a psychic heroine with multiple potential love interests. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys those books and any fan of teen or YA paranormal romance or urban fantasy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clarity.

03/27/2011 page 178
74.0% "This is an excellent book! Kind of like a teen version of the Sookie Stackhouse books. Murder mystery, some romance, and an actually strong heroine. I'm flying through it and really enjoying it."