Becca's Reviews > Double Play

Mar 27, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary-romance, sports-romance, romance, books-read-in-2011
Read on March 27, 2011

Holly is a hard hitting journalist that doesn't pull punches. She looks for the truth no matter who gets in her way. Her next assignment is a series on the young baseball team The Heat. She decides for her first segment she wants to interview Pace the star of the team, and the pitcher. Pace is the star of the team and everywhere he turns he hears people talking about how amazing he is, and how the team wins and looses games based solely on how he plays. He is under and extreme amount of pressure and to add to that he shoulder has been hurting him, but he refuses to allow it to slow him down. While Holly is doing her segments on the team she begins to grow close to the team and its management, this is a first for her because she is always working and moving around for her job. But when she and Pace start acting on their chemistry she thinks that maybe its time for her to start settling down. Pace is reluctant to trust Holly though because she is a reporter and he like Holly has trust issues. Holly and Pace's relationship is put to the test when injuries and drug scandals threaten to strain or break the trust in their relationship.

This book was an entertaining read. I read the second book in this series Slow Heat accidentally before I read this one and I liked the second one better. Holly was a like-able character at times but I also found her to be judgmental and hypocritical. She wanted Pace to trust her and not think of her as just a reporter but she didn't fully trust Pace either. Also I didn't like how she told Pace baseball was the only thing in his life, because her job is the only thing in her life. She only saw black and white scenarios where most people would see gray. Pace was a funny character, he had his faults but he worked to overcome them. Overall this was an enjoyable easy read, but if you want a baseball read I would read the second one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double Play.