Cristina's Reviews > The Kite Runner

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Feb 22, 08

Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** At first I really enjoyed the book. I had heard so much about it that finally I decided to start reading it. I always enjoy books which touch on childhood subjects. I believe our childhoods shape us to be who we become as grown ups. I believer the happy, sad and difficult moments lead us to our adult personalities. However, I was surprised when Amir didn't learn from his mistakes. Yes, his father was not the most loving and warm father around, but our parents are prone to fuck us up. There is no such thing or concept as a good parent; there are parents and bad parents, that's it. Amir's dad was not as loving as a parent should be. Amir had a roof over his head, was able to attend school and enjoy hot meals. While his half brother Hassan lived in a hut and was prejudiced against for being a Hazara. Although Hassan and Amir were best friends, this friendship made Amir feel insecure. Amir was aware that Hassan was a better person than him. Amir kneew that Hassan was loyal to him no matter what. He still tested this loyalty a few times which was unnecessary. Hassan was still there for him. On the day Assef raped Hassan and Amir watched, Hassan still brought the kite back for Amir. Amir watched as Assef raped his best friend and did nothing. This I understand somewhat. He was young, he was scared and who knows what Assef would have done to him had Amir come out in defense of Hassan. But to treat Hassan like crap because of the guilt he felt? That was ridiculous, good thing he couldn't sleep. Why didn't Amir tell his dad about it? They had a better relationship then. It was because Amir wanted his Baba all to himself. He knew that if he shared what he had seen his father would have gone back to ignoring him. Wouldn't anyone rather be ignored than let an asshole like Assef get away with rape? He would have been a better human being if he had sacrificed something, anything for Hassan. Hassan had saved his ass when Assef was ready to punch him with his metal knuckles. Assef should have punched Amir and broken his nose. Hassan goes into depression and when he decides to come out and play with Amir, Amir is an asshole to him. He is selfish and weak. Of course Hassan is the bigger person who constantly tries to find out what he has done wrong. Poor kid, living in a hut with his dad, serving his asshole friend Amir while Amir gives him the cold shoulder. Amir never deserved a friend like Hassan.
When Rahim Khan asks Amir to fetch Hassan's boy from the orophanage he hesitates. No, he doesn't hesitate he says NO right away. Anyone would think that this now thirty-eight year old man would have learned from his childhood mistakes. No, all he is thinking about is his comfortable life in the United States and of his wife. Asshole. He should have jumped at the opportunity of saving Sohrab. Again for selfish reasons it takes him a tantrum to decide to go looking for Sohrab. Although Assef is cruel and meant to be the villain of this novel, he at least is honest of who he is. Unlike Amir, who goes on defending his friend when it is easy, but tunrs his back on him when Hassan most needed him. Amir deserves to be punched in the face and loose his teeth and even more. That's as far as I've gotten. I hope Amir has the balls to save the boy.
I guess Amir is my least favorite protagonist of a novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kite Runner.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Becci I am in disagreement in that Amir was as insensitive as you write.
I also felt at first that Amir was looking out for himself and that his social statis kept him from attending Hassan as a friend/brother.
As the story went on, I felt that Amir protected Hassan by ignoring him and his lesser statis.
I also believe that Amir didn't help Hassan during the rape because he knew he would be next in the brutality of Assef and his friends.
I believe that Amir later ignored Hassan because of his guilt in that he could do nothing to help.
Again, I felt that Hassan who was not only related to Amir but beholden to his family who graciously kept him and his mother with a roof and fed. He was totally dedicated to Amir not as a servant but through love and trust.
Hassan never doubted his position and comfortably lived with it.
In a country like Afghanistan and many other countries, this is not only a lifestyle but a culture that we as Americans must respect.
I loved the 'Kite Runner' as it gave me an insight of the people of Kabul, Afghanistan, a culture that we knew nothing about until the war in Iraq.
There are humans all over this Globe! They may not be like us but they are human none the less.

Cristina I understand that there are many cultures and that they need to be respected. That's not going to take me away from being involved in the book and relating it to many other cultures in which the same things are expected and take place. That doesn't mean that I am not dissapointed in Amir as a person.. of course people like that are human, those are all human errors. However, I stil hold the right to criticize those errors and feel bad for someone like Hassan. I get upset at many things, and I have to react. Although it is fiction, I feel a connection to The Kite Runner and to most of the literature I choose to read. And, if a character pisses me off I will say so and enjoy it because I know him and the plot all the better. As a teacher that's what I want my students to feel as they read literature. I want them to get involved in the story, to live in somone else's shoes through reading. That's why I love reading.. because I can do anything while I do that!

Becci Cristina, I meant no insult. As yourself, I was voicing my opinion.
I suppose I might have misinterpreted your voice on the subject.
Every aspect aside, we both loved the book.
Thank You!