Maggie's Reviews > Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling

4222084
Nov 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011, reviewed, debut-novels, i-ve-just-read-you-and-i-love-you
Read from November 07 to 15, 2011

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? is a book you can actually judge by its cover because both the cover and the book are hilarious. Mindy Kaling seems like your funniest, smartest girlfriend who happened to go to Hollywood, get famous, and write a book. She's relatable and endearing -- a girl's girl who can talk about Dirk Nowitzki and Fred Segal in the same sentence. There are a lot of comparisons between this book and Bossypants, which is natural considering both are written by female comedians at the top of their game so, you know, they must be alike, but the common thread between the two books is actually the AWESOMENESS of Amy Poehler.

How can you not love her??

I view memoirs like weddings. Some writers/brides make it ALL about them and can't stand sharing the spotlight with others. Other brides put their closest girlfriends in the most beautiful dresses they can find so everyone looks awesome. Mindy Kaling and Tina Fey are both in the latter category and it seems a lot of that has to do with the Amy Poehler effect. And I LOVED finding out about it from Amy's friends in their personal memoirs when they could've made it all about them. (I had to stop myself from adding a YA YA! right there. You're welcome.)

This is the book I shared with my best friend since 7th grade while road-tripping to Vegas for my birthday over the weekend. It doesn't matter whether or not you watch The Office (I don't), this is a book you can still relate to and enjoy. Warning: You will be highlighting a ton of passages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?.

11/08/2011
15.0% "Aaaand I'm highlighting entire pages. :)" 1 comment
11/09/2011
24.0% "It took 2 years of owning a Kindle + 24% of Mindy Kaling's book, but I finally figured out that you can zoom in on a picture by clicking on it. I know. description" 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Catie I started this on audio last week, but never finished it. Guess I need to pick it back up again! I am such a huge Amy Poehler fan.

Maggie I was wondering if she did her own audiobook. There are some slow parts, but it's worth a read. I LOVED the Amy Poehler mentions.

Catie Yes, she narrates it and she's pretty good!

Sarah This book made me want to stalk Mindy Kaling and make her be my BFF.