Trisha Wolfe's Reviews > First Flight

First Flight by Sean Hayden

Mar 28, 11

First, I love this cover! Steampunk covers are always so much fun. First Flight is the first installment of a series of short stories through Quakeme.com, a division of Echelon Press, intended to shake up young readers. I love the dedication Hayden gives in this story: ‘We dedicate this to all the children out there who are finding it cool to read, shutting off their televisions, and using their imaginations.’ Awesome! This program is such a wonderful thing, I support it fully! Hayden co-wrote this story with his son, who is in Fifth grade! I love that. Hayden’s Steampunk series is super-fast and fun read. I’m a big fan of Steampunk, and Hayden’s description of all the contraptions and inventions around the carnival was fascinating. For a short story, I really connected with the main characters, Dade and Paige. Dade is very protective over his twin, and his mission is to free them from the evil Professor Minus. I also really enjoyed the bit of paranormal in this story, with Dade and Paige being steamsmiths. Not only are steamsmiths incredibly talented with machines, they seem to have a supernatural energy that allows them to connect with the machines around them. I definitely want to read the next story to find out more about this. A new character is introduced near the end of the story and I’m really interested to see more of this character and discover what his role will be. I definitely recommend this series for anyone who loves Steampunk, fun and action-packed scenes, and wonderful, imaginative writing you can get lost in!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Flight.