Serena's Reviews > Undeniably Yours

Undeniably Yours by Shannon Stacey

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, characters-i-wanna-slap
Recommended for: nobody right now...beth in insufferable
Read from March 26 to 27, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I don’t usually feel the need to actually WRITE a review for a book, the rating stars are usually sufficient for me and no character is usually this stubborn. However, I had to for this book because the “heroine” in this book was EXTREMELY frustrating and someone –I—really needed to slap some reality into her. Beth decided to have a one night stand with a guy (Kevin) and gets pregnant by him despite their using protection. Beth is very independent and her lifestyle has always been nomadic by choice. So, when Kevin steps up voluntarily and happily to take care of Beth and his unborn child Beth won’t have it. Despite her having limited funds and no health insurance and living in a crap apartment. She is hell bent on taking on everything by herself and being dependent on no one including her guy who got her pregnant! And a GREAT guy I may add! I found myself wishing Kevin, for all his good intentions & charms would just be there for her for the sake of the unborn baby but leave her selfish ass alone! I understood her need for independence and her need to discover the profundity of their relationship for herself but her irrational need to be SO independent was more about her pride then what she needed to provide for a healthy mom and baby (Selfish!).

Beth, at full term pregnancy and in an utter exasperation because she wanted to grocery shop INDEPENDENTLY one day, storms out of her residence in a fit of rebellion and directly into a damned bus! Needless to say, she delivers the baby in lieu of the accident and her honorable now, neighbor/friend-she-happened-to-have-a-baby-together-with (Kevin) still continues to pursue her because of his genuine affection for her regardless of Beth being his “baby mama”; he truly loves her. She however, continues to throw his feelings back in his face but she doesn’t want him dating other women either even though she tells him she is okay with it. She wants to have her “chocolate” cake and eat it so to speak, until Kevin gives her and ultimatum. It is at this point in there “non-relationship” that she magically discovers after almost a year give or take of him pursuing her he truly loves her. WOW! Lol

So the reasoning for My rating for this book is..I like the storyline (5) but Beth drove me to total exasperation and I decided I was gonna cease reading it because of her irrational behavior, I thought the sideline character Polly and her ex fiancé was more interesting at times (-2). But, Kevin is a good guy and I wanted to see what his reward was for all he’d been put through (+1) but the ending was an epiphany moment and it was hardly believable (-1). It was okay but my final rating is a three.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undeniably Yours.

03/27/2011 "Beth is really very aggravating!"
03/27/2011 "yes...let me please slap her. There is a fine line between stubbornness and stupidness!!!"