Emily May's Reviews > Storm Born

May 06, 11

did not like it
bookshelves: paranormal-uf, 2011
Read on May 05, 2011

I could not get into this at all. I'm a big Richelle Mead fan since reading her Succubus series but I feel she majorly let herself down with this one. I didn't care for Eugenie Markham once during this novel, I felt no real connection with her and she didn't even have the witty sarcasm that I so loved about Georgina Kincaid. The plot was weak and just generally messy, that's not even mentioning the weird mythology overkill that interested me about as much as watching paint dry... I couldn't tell you what the basic folklore/mythology behind it was because my head got so screwed up in an array of odd creatures and poor characters.

Also, if Richelle Mead had instead released several short stories of this kind entitle 'BDSM Erotica', I would have probably been more impressed. Because that's essentially what it was. And, hey, I'm not against a bit of S&M with my smut, but at least get your story right first before you break out the whips and chains. I kind of felt that this book was just some sort of unleashing of Mead's weird fantasies - couldn't she have just started a blog and spared me the anticipation of thinking "oh great, another Richelle Mead novel" only to then be faced with the disappointment that inevitably followed.

Mead shouldn't have promised the reader a urban fantasy when all we got was smut. And about that... it never really does it for me when the heroine meets a gorgeous (and sexy and hot and buff) guy in the first few chapters and gets it on right away. I'm a fan of suspense, I want to feel that inner "yay!" when the heroine you're rooting for finally sleeps with that guy you just wish was real. But here I had no time to give a damn about Kiyo (or Eugenie) before they got naked. So even the smut (that the book was pretty much centred around) didn't really give me what I wanted anyway. In future I'll just stick to the Succubus series.
21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Storm Born.

Tatiana This was my first disappointing book from Mead. (She disappointed many more times since then.) I am still surprised at how many people enjoy this series though...

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "This was my first disappointing book from Mead. (She disappointed many more times since then.) I am still surprised at how many people enjoy this series though..."

I've read her first 3 in the Succubus/Georgina Kincaid series, what are the later ones like? Please don't tell me I'm going to be disappointed there as well :(

Tatiana The Succubus books are her best series. First 4 books are good, the 5th is so-so, not awful, but just mediocre (IMO).

IDK if you are planning to read VA, but that one fizzles at around book 4, just FYI.

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "The Succubus books are her best series. First 4 books are good, the 5th is so-so, not awful, but just mediocre (IMO).

I know, I read your reviews. Is it worth reading the first few and then leaving it like I did with Poison Study?

Tatiana You mean VA? No, not really. VA is one long story line and the best (and last good) book in the series ends on an awfully angsty cliffhanger.

Emily May Tatiana wrote: "You mean VA? No, not really. VA is one long story line and the best (and last good) book in the series ends on an awfully angsty cliffhanger."

Ok, I won't bother, thanks for sparing me that :)

Hayden Emily: If you're gonna start VA, you have to finish VA. Seeing as you've already started VA, you're under moral obligation to finish it. 'Kay?

Emily May Hayden wrote: "Emily: If you're gonna start VA, you have to finish VA. Seeing as you've already started VA, you're under moral obligation to finish it. 'Kay?"

Haha, okay then, I'll give it my best shot :)