Ken's Reviews > Paul and Me: Fifty-three Years of Adventures and Misadventures with My Pal Paul Newman

Paul and Me by A.E. Hotchner

Mar 27, 11

Read in June, 2010

Saw this at the library and picked it up on a whim. A.E. Hotchner is an old buddy and business partner of Paul Newman, and this is Hotchner’s memoir of their friendship.

The first half of the book is a random set of recollections about Hotchner’s friend Paul Newman, in no particular order. It’s wildly uneven; at its best, the stories are personal and insightful. At other times, the stories are random and dull. However, it picks up when Newman decides to start his Newman’s Own food business; the story of the company gives some structure and interest to the recollections. However, overall the book is weak on detail, and not really trustworthy; I get the feeling Hotchner is more interested in putting his pal on a pedestal than in telling the truth. Paul never has a bad side or makes a bad decision. Paul gets all the good lines and ideas, and Hotchner goes along good-naturedly. Still, it’s an interesting glimpse of an extraordinary life, as viewed from a close vantage point.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paul and Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe I didn't make it past the first half. Maybe I'll try again based on your observations. Thanks!