Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance's Reviews > And I Shall Have Some Peace There: Trading in the Fast Lane for My Own Dirt Road

And I Shall Have Some Peace There by Margaret Roach

Mar 27, 11

bookshelves: creativity, moving-and-starting-over, learning, nature, gardening
Read in March, 2011

If trying to read A Widow's Story: A Memoir over spring break was bad timing, the arrival of this book on the last weekend of spring break was good timing. Exactly what I needed. Just as Roach was seeking peace on her own dirt road after years of living in the fast lane, I was seeking the quiet peace of this book after reading the turbulance of A Widow's Story. Perfect.

I love memoirs of people who find a deeper life in quiet places. This is one. And, as a person who left my version of the fast lane (if teachers can be thought to have a fast lane) long ago, I loved reading of Roach's slow development of a love for her garden and country life.

(Aside: I found it strangely interesting to see that both Oates and Roach were helped along their paths to peace in their lives by gardening. And writing. Interesting.)

*Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy of this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And I Shall Have Some Peace There.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by L.K. (new) - added it

L.K. Rigel "find a deeper life in quiet places" ... what a lovely phrase!

Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance Thank you!