Jay's Reviews > Bad Science

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

I can't remember where I heard about this book. Probably somebody on Goodreads or Peter.

Ben Goldacre makes some very good statements about homeopathy, anti-vaccinators and nutritionists. What he spoke primarily about are things that I've always held to be true, anyway, particularly about the placebo effect, and how homeopathy can be seen as a placebo. His comments on the MMR vaccines and the HIV/AIDS remarks (vitamin C is better for HIV sufferers than AZT) and issues presented are new to me, and I'm surprised, particularly by the latter, that people could even believe them.

I'm admittedly amused by his campaign against Gillian MacKeith and Patrick Holsford. Living in Australia, I haven't heard about either of these public figures, and so learning about them and was new to me. I've done some browsing around about these two myself, and I have to say that while I'm disappointed they've become so influential, I'm not surprised. People can be quite easily bought.

A lot of people have said this book should be required reading, but I don't agree. People should be looking deeper into claims made by others about new scientific finds, and people should be demanding the full research. Nobody should go by one book alone. This is a good book, sure (although I do find Goldacre to be rather arrogant), but people should move beyond just going by this book. Look further. Look beyond.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bad Science.

03/27/2011 page 1
03/29/2011 page 250
77.0% "I haven't had much to do lately, so lots of reading time for me."
show 1 hidden update…