Michael's Reviews > Sing You Home

Sing You Home by Jodi Picoult

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: five-star-books
Read from March 29 to April 02, 2011

I went into this book with no expectations as this is the first book ive read by Jodi Picoult. I was drawn to this book by the issues that were raised, issues that i feel very strongly about and think it was very brave of Jodi to write about. I can say now i am totally blown away by what ive read and simply cant think enough superlatives to say how good this book is.

The story of a lady named Zoe who had tried for 10 years to have a child with her husband Max but due to all manner of reason's this never happens. The final straw for Max is when after ten years he and Zoe lose there baby in tragic circumstances. Unable to cope anymore Max files for divorce. The story moves along with Zoe falling in love with a counsellor Vanessa and Max after hitting the bottle then finding solance in the church. What follows is a battle between the church, Max, Zoe and her partner when Max is informed by Zoe that she wishes to use frozen embryos unused from the past to raise a child with Vanessa. The church convinces Max that he should ask for the embryos be given to his Younger brother and his wife who have had there own problems with trying to have a child.

Ultimately this ends in a court battle that is truelly riveting and puts you on an emotional rollercoaster as Zoe, Vanessa and there attorney Angela go head to head with the church its lawyers and its pastor.

Jodi has done a superb job with Sing You Home. What could of been a book bogged down in religious and polital overturns is made into a beautiful, honest and ultimately touching story of determination and love. For anyone who is thinking about reading this book dont think run to the nearest book store or library and pick it up because it is that good.

6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sing You Home.

03/29/2011 page 49
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Hi Michael, let me know what you think of this book. I enjoy Jodi Picoult's books, but haven't read the last few she's released - no particular reason, just haven't had time. Have you read any of her others?

Michael No Maggie i havnt ill blame Carmel for pointing it out to me. I very much am interested because of the issues it brings up. So far its been very good sad and emotional.

Melissa Since you enjoyed Sing You Home, I would recommend Nineteen Minutes, Perfect Match and Salem Falls. I love all of her books, but those are my favorite by her.

Michael Thanks Melissa. Sing you home was the First one of her's ive read so any suggestions is much appreciated. :)

Melissa No problem! She's one of my absolute favorite authors :)

Carmel I agree with all of those suggestions from Melissa, I haven't read Perfect Match but I think my daughter has read it. The Pact is another one, quite intense!

Michael Thanks Carmel and Melissa ill have to check them out. :D

message 8: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie Just read them all!

Everyone has their favourites. I have only found a few that I didn't enjoy as much as the others, and wouldn't bother with. But Nineteen Minutes was good, as was The Pact. One of my favourites is Plain Truth set in an Amish community.