Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Black Heart

Black Heart by Holly Black

I'm not sure if this book is needing me to break out the cigarette-after-sex pic, the way I felt it completely necessary after the end of the Georgina Kincaid series, but I'm going to say that Black Heart made me experience some of those same feelings.

Imagine me sending out vibes of love to Holly Black for not fubaring a great trilogy with an unsatisfying ending. My favorite series endings are ones in which you get enough closure without everything being wrapped up into a neat little package. The reading audience needs to be left with at least a little bit hanging, so we can retreat inside of our heads for a moment and imagine what could possibly happen next. Ms. Black nailed the ending perfectly for the Curseworkers series.

At least I don't need to stand on my soapbox anymore to get the word out about the Curseworkers. By now, I've managed to find several other fans to converse with about these books. Fans of dark, snarky, or offbeat UF such as Anna Dressed in Blood or Hold Me Closer, Necromancer might find this trilogy to their liking. IT'S A FLIPPING MAFIA FAMILY who can work curses with the touch of an ungloved hand. What's not to be intrigued about?

I'm not even in the mood to go into a summary of the book. There was snark, there was crime, etc. etc. I won't spoil the Lila & Cassel story. However, I did have one spoiler that I wanted to talk about which upset me : (view spoiler)

Jace's (from Mortal Instruments) alternate-world cameos were even less noticeable this time. He walked into a public room and did some sort of work on a laptop. That's about it.

This might be one of the least informative reviews I've written in a while but I'm okay with that. I'm a fan of this trilogy. I like that it's not a female-driven story, nor does it have a female lead. There aren't many YA Urban Fantasy books being sold these days which aren't heavy handed when it comes to overdoing it with sappy love. Thankfully, there are at least a few rare gems out there like this amidst a sea of pnr clones.
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Heart.

Quotes Stacia (the 2010 club) Liked

Holly Black
“She wears trouble like a crown. If she ever falls in love, she’ll fall like a comet, burning the sky as she goes.”
Holly Black, Black Heart

message 1: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine This came out on my birthday :) I've yet to go buy it! Can't wait to read your review!!!

Stacia (the 2010 club) Happy belated bday!

Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue) I thought the ending was perfect. But I totally agree with the Barron & Daneca thing. :( Thanks for getting me interested in this series! I still need to read Necromancer. :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks! Necromancer was one of those books that turned out to be way better than I was expecting. The second book is probably one of my most anticipated books coming out this year outside of the second Angefall/Penryn book.

message 5: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine Thanks... belatedly. lol What is Necromancer? I am going to go look that up!

Stacia (the 2010 club) The book is Hold Me Closer Necromancer by Lish McBride. Any fan of Curseworkers should definitely check it out. Same with Anna Dressed in Blood. All 3 of those books have male leads and a darker vibe. I guess I could probably add Warm Bodies to the list as well, since that also has a male protag.

message 7: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine I have Anna Dressed in Blood on my TBR, but I will out the others on :) Thanks, Stacia!

Emily I was not as sure about Barron & Daneca; I think because I really liked Sam. As someone who hasn't read Mortal Instruments, I didn't notice Jace the first time; only noticed him this time because of what he was watching on tv: a reality tv show about beauty contestants trapped on an island--a lovely reference to Libba Bray's Beauty Queens.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I didn't pick up the Beauty Queens reference but I still need to read it!

Emily If you do audio, I highly recommend Beauty Queens on audio.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I keep trying audio but my mind wanders. :(

Winged_One holy cow, I didn't know that was a mortal instruments cameo. I loved Anna and hold me close necromancer. and this series too. I knew there was a reason I followed your reviews.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Jace made a cameo in all three books, but it was an "alternate universe" version of him, meaning that it was Jace as if he was in the curse workers world. But there was a reference to him and Clary in one of the books when it was said that some kid named Jace was showing a pic of him and another girl that people suspected was really his sister or something. It's been a while, so I don't remember the context. In the other book, he was having a nightmare in a bathtub about angels. It's sort of a "blink and you miss it" type of thing.

Thanks. :)

Winged_One I might have to go back and read them all over again :)