Joseph's Reviews > Uttermost Part of the Earth

Uttermost Part of the Earth by Lucas Bridges

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: guacátela

Sounds like racism and exotification (of a murdered people no less) of the worst kind.

"When the author was born in Tierra del Fuego in 1874, it was truly an unknown land." (Except of course to all the people who'd lived there for thousands of years).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uttermost Part of the Earth.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon Miles It certainly doesn't make exotic, the people who lived on the island when the Bridges family arrived, rather it's a striking story, which I don't feel is any the less memorable for the fact that the land was occupied when they arrived. We can add the relevant political context for ourselves.

And it looks like the quote you cite, Joseph, comes from the publishers, rather than Bridges himself; and we know their motivations.

I quite understand the temptation to dismiss what might be good literature due to our feeling about the political affiliations or circumstances of the writer, for instance, but we might well be missing out on some important reading that way.