Annie's Reviews > Vamps and the City

Vamps and the City by Kerrelyn Sparks

Mar 26, 2011

it was ok
Read from March 26 to 28, 2011

Kind of a weak follow-up to "How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire". Not terrible, but pretty dull and pointless. The humor from the 1st book just wasn't there. I suppose the 1st book laid down most of the foundation and history of Kerrelyn Sparks' vampire world so book #2 is more about character development for these secondary characters. There is some talk about the war that is threatening to erupt between the 2 vampire factions, but not much.

I was actually pretty bored through most of the book and got really excited everytime there was mention of the main characters of the 1st book - that's how little I cared for the main characters of this book. The attraction between them (Austin and Darcy) was too sudden and out of the blue for me - not very believable as "love", more like "lust". But Sparks is hell-bent determined that what they feel for each other is love and spends too much time trying to convince the reader.

Also, this book featured the harem women from "How to Marry..." and I guess they were supposed to bring the funny but I found them to be stupid and annoying. And really, if that one vampire talked about the Spanish Inquisition one more time, I was going to scream!

Overall, I'm not very impressed w/ this one, but I'll probably keep up w/ the series...according to her website, she's under contract for up to a 12th book so I'm assuming it means these get better, right???

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vamps and the City.