Robert's Reviews > The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

Oct 13, 10

bookshelves: adventure, dragons, elves, fantasy, good-book, hobbits, currently-reading, re-reading
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in April, 1982

An amazing story that starts with a disturbance in the life of a homely Hobbit. The unpleasantness leads on to an adventure that spans the known world of Middle Earth and sets the stage for the final battle with the Dark Lord, Sauron of Mordor.

Written in a much more simple and easy to read form than "Lord of the Rings," "The Hobbit" has a charm that is often lacking in the great epic that follows it. Many either prefer "The Hobbit" or "The Lord of the Rings" but rarely do readers favor both, even though they are part of the same story. Those who like lighter tales of adventure as opposed to more meaty epics will find "The Hobbit" a very enjoyable read.

"The Hobbit" is also interesting from the point of view of a study of Middle Earth. In this part of the story, Tolkien's vast and detailed world is much more raw and less developed. There are many more allusions to contemporary myths than in the broader Lord of the Rings. And the concept of elves is less realized or revealed.

For my part, this was the book that started it all for me. Prior to The Hobbit, I had little interest in reading at all. So here's to Tolkien, grandfather of fantasy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hobbit.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Go R.M.Fanney! your books are awsome

"May your feet always walk in the light of the two suns!

May the moon shadow never fall apon you!"

Susan love The Hobbit... since I was 6. Shortly after I read it I saw the (horrible) Bakshi cartoon of it and still have my VHS copy of that

Matt I agree, is a great book and was the one that sold me on the fantasy genre in general. You raise a good point, about most people preferring either the Hobbit or LOTRs. The two were always simply part of the same story and, therefor, equal in my mind. Great review!!

Jerry I didn't really enjoy the Hobbit. Everything Bilbo does is based on pure luck. Also, I didn't like how a complete stranger killed Smaug; Bilbo should have done it, he's the main character. Tolkien is fond of giving minor characters major roles, isn't he? Like Sam in Lord of the Rings, while Frodo was completely depressed and wouldn't have been able to do anything without him.

Kimmie Alex This was the book that made me fall in love with fantasy and opened my imagination. I adored The Hobbit and am proud to live in the city that inspired it all. Go Tolkien!