Jon Forisha's Reviews > The Scar

The Scar by China Miéville

Mar 26, 11

This is the second Mieville book that I've read, and both have blown me away. Mieville's creativity is astounding in the way that he creates the world of Bas-Lag. After Perdido Street Station I felt like I knew the world, but immediately in the Scar he removes us from New Crobuzon and throws us, literally, in the middle of the ocean, where we stay for the entire novel.

Being a sucker for sea adventure stories, this novel was a great read. Mieville has a fantastic literary style that is pulpy and weird while at the same time still very intelligent. His style is such that he can pull off an island of mosquito people, cactus people, and even a man undergoing surgery to become more adapted to the sea. You question nothing, and just go along with the crazy ride.

By the end of the novel, he had given me enough information about how Armada functions that I felt like Uther Doul and Tanner Sack acting the way they were, in their interactions with the ridings, made absolute sense.

It's hard to guess where a Mieville plot will go, and this story is no different. The ending took me quite by surprise, pleasant though it was. Definitely an interesting read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scar.