Sandra Stiles's Reviews > Bound by Guilt

Bound by Guilt by C.J. Darlington

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: young-adult, suspense, mystery, christian, adult
Read in March, 2011

There were so many connections to make with this book. My first connection was with Abby Dawson. She was a cop who felt she had failed at her marriage and then felt like she was a failure as a cop. Her ex-husband, a lawyer and fought for custody of their daughter and won. I admired Abby for not putting her daughter in the middle of their divorce and problems. I know there were times she wanted to shout and explain the truth to her daughter. I know when I went through my divorce it took every ounce of strength I had not to let my children know how I felt when they would tell me what new thing their father had purchased for them. Our problems were not theirs and so I kept my mouth shut. Abby did the same thing. I understood her strained relationship with her father. When her brother is killed some of her old problems and feelings resurface.

Roxie Gold reminded me of so many students who have passed through my classroom. One kid in particular stands out. He would misbehave daily. At the end of the year he came to thank me for being his teacher. He told me I was his favorite. I told him that I was surprised because I had griped at him almost daily. With a grin on his face he said, "Yes I know. At least I know you loved me." How sad that kids will do anything, even if it is wrong for an ounce of love. Roxie was like that. Since she'd been passed from foster home to foster home. She felt lucky to be with her aunt Irene and her son Diego. She didn't like that to win her aunts approval she had to help steal rare books. It was obvious from the outsider's point of view, meaning the reader, that Irene was a user. She exploited Roxie and her own son for personal gain. That is not love. Greedy they change their plans and go back to the Book Barne to steal some valuable first editions. The manager, whose apartment is connected to the book store, hears the break in and confronts them. That is when a gun is produced and he ends up dead. Roxie can't live with this so she runs away from Irene. She is picked up by Jan and taken home to stay with Jan and her husband Keith. It is here she finds out what unconditional love is.

This book is full of hope, love and forgiveness. The Christian theme throughout is wonderfully done. It is not an "in your face" preaching. God's truths are presented in real life lessons that we se examples of around us all the time. This was a wonderful book. I had not read her first book Thicker Than Blood but I will. I also look forward to her next book. This is an author we need to watch closely. Her writing is fresh and touching. Her characters are so real you can't help but identify with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound by Guilt.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Christian fiction would be more popular if written without the "in your face" preaching. I like that phrase. :)

Sandra Stiles I agree. I have no problem telling the world I am a Christian. However, I have to be careful what I put on my shelves at school. I can't offend the non-christians but I want things on my shelves for parents who want their kids to read Christian fiction. This book would work because it is not full of scriptures every paragraph.