Rachel's Reviews > What the Rest of Us Can Learn from Homeschooling: How A+ Parents Can Give Their Traditionally Schooled Kids the Academic Edge

What the Rest of Us Can Learn from Homeschooling by Linda Dobson

Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: parenting, non-fiction
Read in March, 2011

I don't think anything in this book was revolutionary but it put into words the philosophy my husband and I already have with our boys and gave some more concrete examples of things we can do. The main premise is that the primary responsibility of parents is to help their kids develop a love of learning and help them access more information about topics that interest them, not drill facts into their heads or use rote learning techniques.

The author is a homeschooler herself and has written many books on homeschooling. There is a bias for homeschooling present in the book but it wasn't so prevalent that I couldn't overlook it.

I recommend this book for parents of traditionally schooled children who want to make sure that school doesn't quash the love of learning in their children or for parents of children who have lost their love of learning and need it rekindled.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What the Rest of Us Can Learn from Homeschooling.