Scott's Reviews > Confessor

M 50x66
Mar 26, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in November, 2010

Finally, the end of the Sword of Truth series (as we know it)

All in all, a very enjoyable book. Successfully builds tension towards the climax, and adequately ties up the majority of the numerous loose ends (probably the two toughest tasks of any final volume in a long series). There's a long section about the sport Ja'La, which might bother some readers, but I rather liked it (and it's not at all irrelevant). On the other hand, the way that the climax happened was a little too neat, perhaps a bit of a gimmick or deus-ex-machina (not too surprising for this series, and not totally a bad thing, perhaps--there were some interesting plot twists involved--but a little disappointing).

This series was a nice ride, and challenges The Wheel of Time for the title of best mammoth fantasy series I've read, but I'm glad it's over and (unlike The Wheel of Time) I'm not sure I'll ever want to re-read it. I definitely recommend it to fantasy fans who won't be turned off by graphic violence or Objectivist proselytizing. The Sword of Truth as a whole earns four stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessor.