Jamie's Reviews > Kindling the Moon

Kindling the Moon by Jenn Bennett

4199122
Jul 15, 11

bookshelves: favorites, magic, books-i-obsess-over, unbelievably-sexy-heros, series-i-can-t-wait-to-continue
Read from July 12 to 15, 2011

Wow! I've read two books within a couple weeks of each other that I feel compelled to give 5 stars. That almost NEVER happens.

Arcadia Bell is a magician - a very powerful magician. But as her regular job, she is partial owner of a bar. She uses her potions and binding spells to break up bar fights and to keep the peace with her Earthbound demon patrons. It's a pretty nice life. She has a house, a couple of friends, a job and super wicked magic powers. She also has a very deep and dark secret she's been hiding from everyone.

When she goes to a local priest (who is also a friend) for help, she is introduced to the damn fine and sexy Lon Butler. Now, Lon has a mustache, which is not something I find hot on a man (please- no disrespect meant, it's just a personal preference) but he's sexy as sin. He's refreshingly in his early 40s, divorced and has a precocious teenaged son named Jupiter, Jupe for short. Lon is a demon expert and is enlisted to help Arcadia locate a demon to help her solve her deep, dark secret.

Lon is very reserved and introspective, but shows Arcadia he is very much interested in her. He is tight lipped, but let's his actions speak for themselves. Arcadia is just 25, so the age dilemma is dealt with in this book. The relationship between Lon and Arcadia is dynamic, as well as the relationship between Jupe and Arcadia. I could just eat Jupe up - he's a smart, hyperactive, sweet kid and his character is written very well.

I won't go more into the plot so that you are spared any spoilers. However, I will tell you that I did not want this book to end, and I am pissed I have to wait until next April to get book 2. It was an awesome read, and I can't wait to read more from author Jenn Bennett.

Two quotes I really like from this book:

(view spoiler)

"All that was left behind was a cloud of shimmering blue light that fell to the ground like the last firework on the Fourth of July."

8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kindling the Moon.

Quotes Jamie Liked

Jenn Bennett
“He gathered me closer, kissed my neck, then spoke in a low voice next to my ear. “I figure, see, if you find yourself getting more attached to the two of us than you planned, maybe you won’t think about picking up and leaving to start another life somewhere else.”
Jenn Bennett, Kindling the Moon

07/14/2011 "This is getting very interesting. I like Lon, and I really like Jupe."
07/15/2011
77.0% "Umm..Wow. Just, wow! I love Lon. I don't generally go for mustaches, or facial hair in general (just my preference, not judging) but he's totally hot." 1 comment
07/15/2011
92.0% "Not quite done, yet, but I can safely say this will earn a 5 star rating from me. I don't want it to end!!!"
show 1 hidden update…

MISS VAIN Damn you for putting a spoiler quote in your review. I had to force my fingers away from my phone to prevent me from reading that spoiler.....:)

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Jamie, what was the other five star?

MISS VAIN Annabelle Lee's book.

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Oh yeah, that's right! Duh!

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) I bet Jamie thinks she's hot shit because the author liked her review.
*This is me not being jealous*

MISS VAIN Cat-Ahhhhh Cat, no need to be jealous because I do remember a certain someone getting a "shout out" in the acknowledgements of a newly released book ;)

Jamie-That's awesome Jamie, what a nice compliment when the author "likes" your review:)

message 8: by Jamie (last edited Jul 16, 2011 04:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jamie Vain - it wasn't a big spoiler, but I didn't want to ruin anything.

And, I actually gave Annabelle Lee 4-4.5 stars (although I did love it). I gave Adrian Phoenix's Black Heart Loa 5 stars. It's been a good couple of reading weeks for me.

Don't be jealous, Cat. I am hot shit. What can I say ;-) And it is very cool and awesome that Jenn Bennett gave me a "like."

Samina ~ Escapism~ Wow, author liking you review is fantastic. Keeps you motivated to write them.
@Cat when did you get a 'shout at' by an author?

MISS VAIN Jamie-I held back the urge to read it, I will wait until I read the book, I bought it recently too!

Cat-I can picture Cat right now sitting at her computer at home looking all studious while creating a profile page for the author of the book she's currently reading so when the time comes she can "Like" her review as well......;) LOL

Jamie Vain - you MUST read. Since we seem to have a very similar taste, I think you'll really like it :)

MISS VAIN I'm Definitly going to read it soon seriously, it sounds fantastic!!! :)

Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines) @ Jamie - Maybe that's my punishment for not giving her that extra star LOL As much as it pains my rather large ego to admit it, your review really is more "like" worthy than mine. Mine seems kind of lazy.

@ Samina - It was in "Danann Frost Embraces the Darkness". Joanne Valiukas is the author and she's really sweet.

@ Miss Vain - It's really not nice to tell on people..

@ Christen - Hi.

MISS VAIN Cat-Usually I'm great at keeping secrets, but I just couldn't resist telling...;)

Samina ~ Escapism~ Well this is not a secret.I am glad(and slightly jealous) for Cat that she get shout outs from authors.

Jamie @Cat - You're review is not lazy. I'm just one bad ass bitch ;-) I DL'd Danann Frost Falls from Grace, so I hope to get to it by the end of summer. Since you love it, I'm hoping that I'll love it, too :) And I just DL'd Grimspace today. I want to get to that, too, sometime soon. I think you recommended those both.

@Christen - where'd you go? You're probably outside enjoying the sunshine while I'm typing away on GR. Lol!

@Vain - I remember Cat getting that "like", too. I just couldn't remember the author. Some authors are very, very cool.

message 17: by Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* (last edited Jul 16, 2011 01:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* @ Cat and Jamie - Hi. Sorry, I was busy washing and vacuuming EVERYTHING in my house.

Cat, I thought you got a shout out from the author of Desdaemona...???

Jamie - Vain and I are going to read the whole Sirantha Jax series soon if you wanna join! Cat is very proud of us. :)

Jamie @Christen - I'd love to :)

And I REALLY should have been washing and vacuuming everything in my house, but I kind of screwed around with my iPhone and did a bit too much relaxing today. Tomorrow will be a busy day for me!

Christen *Goldilox And The Three Weres* Yeah, I don't think you want the same reason I have for washing and vacuuming everything...lice...

Jamie Yeah - that would suck. My reason is two little boys.

MISS VAIN Jamie-With S.J. Series the more the merrier :) also I grew up with very rambunctious twin brothers and so I understand having to clean up after little boys. I wonder how my momma kept her sanity all those years because when one went left the other went right ;)

Christen-Goodluck :)

Linzi It was an awesome book
And you do such proper, grown up reviews Jamie - you're a great example. I'm always ... yeah well everybody did all the details already but it's awesome read it NOW - or save your money it's lousy ;-p

Jamie @Linzi - Awww! That was a really nice compliment :)

I've definitely done a few of those READ IT NOW reviews, or even some that aren't really reviews but a venting session (see: my Chicagoland Vampires book 4 rant).

I really try to write nice reviews for books that I really adore, because I'm selfish. Really, that's the reason. If even one person reads a review and buys a book from an author I like, especially the newer authors, then maybe that author will be able to continue writing books so I can read them ;-)