Charlaralotte's Reviews > Anonymous Lawyer: A Novel

bookshelves: read-in-2007
Recommended to Charlaralotte by: Fluke purchase at bookstore
Recommended for: anyone
Read in March, 2007

Praise the good lord for this book. At the time I picked it up, I was wallowing between jobs, and my mom was cranking up the pressure on me to attend an "open house" for the paralegal program at a local university.

I kept thinking, "I will design the shingle to hang outside the lawyer's office; I will design the business cards, the letterhead, the website. I will decorate the lawyer's office. But there's no way in hell I'm going to go to work EVERY DAY in that lawyer's office."

Still, it was a very very close call. Especially as I learned from my friend, Doug, that my long-ago scores on the LSATS would have gotten me into some quite decent law schools & then I was bitter that lawyers weren't in fact much smarter than me. Especially if they did so poorly on their LSATs. They might be quite average & boy, did Harvard really screw up my brain because I got my LSAT scores back & since they weren't PERFECT, I figured I was a loser.

Well, so I serendipitously read this book and the world of corporate law was revealed as worse than worse. It was revealed as a place I wanted nothing to do with. Then Doug read it and, due to him being on the brink of passing the Bar, confirmed everything in the book. And then I was free! Free at last. And then I got a job designing signs & business cards & letterheads & exhibitions & never gave the damn business another thought.

Anyway, the book: is hysterical. The main character is soooo unlikeable, you feel a little uncomfortable reveling in his evilness. I love all the inside details: how he keeps track of who goes to the bathroom too much (because they're cutting into billable hours), how at the yearly party the associates are allowed only on the back patio while the partners are in the front... It's all gloriously disgusting.

I ate it up until the end, and then I felt the writer may have not known quite how to end it. Perhaps another editing pass could have yielded a more satisfactory resolution-- though the actual resolution was inevitable. It could have been more effectively written, though Blah blah.

Oh! And when he feels sorry for the poor lawyers in Hurricane Katrina who might be without post-it notes! Glorious.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anonymous Lawyer.