Jeff's Reviews > No Touch Monkey!: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late

No Touch Monkey! by Ayun Halliday

Mar 18, 08

bookshelves: got-put-back-on-the-shelf
Recommended for: Rick Steves, he'd say, "Done it."
Read in March, 2008

There was a monkey on the cover, and while I'm sure there's a story about a monkey somewhere in the book, I never got to it.
I found myself bored... well, this is really my fault, cause I don't ever go anywhere exotic on vacation. Ayun goes on African safari's on a shoe string budget on her vacations. I do laundry and walk around the mall on my vacations.
She takes vacations with boyfriends, husbands, family, alone... I don't even like to eat by myself, much less wander around a far off land. I simply couldn't relate. Finally, if you're going to write about your adventures in life, I need to have a reason to read about your adventures. I need you to tell me that you learned something other than, "Don't eat the dogs in Singapore." All I learned from this book is that sometimes, when in Europe, you have to pay to use the bathroom.
What I want, what I need is for you to give me the big reveal, about how there are 6 billion people on this planet, and while we all eat different things, really no one ever wants to eat alone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Touch Monkey!.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I love to read the newspaper while I'm eating, and when there's someone else present they always yell at me.... so actually I do like eating alone.

But I still know what you mean. Great review.

message 2: by Jeff (new) - rated it 1 star

Jeff I really don't mind eating alone too much- but I'm slightly too ADD to sit and eat through a whole meal. I like to people watch.
I'd be worried if the newspaper starts to yell at you.