Deborah's Reviews > Sisters of the Sari

Sisters of the Sari by Brenda L. Baker

Apr 11, 11

bookshelves: arc-books-received
Read from April 04 to 11, 2011

I really enjoyed this UCP which I received as a Goodreads giveaway. Baker's tale of Kiria Langdon, a middle aged female CEO who travels from her home in Canada, to India for what she had planned as a simple vacation, had me entranced from the first paragraph. The vibrant colors, sounds, smells and dialects of India were successfully portrayed with each situation that Kiria encountered.

The character's observations and impressions were poignant and often humorous. The developing relationships between Kiria, Santoshi, and Mary Elizabeth drove the story and kept my attention and interest throughout the story. Addressing the issues of women's rights, arranged marriage, dowries, adoption, and homelessness could have made the tone of the book dark or heavy, but the characters were so well crafted that the issues were woven in the story with no hint of lecturing or sermonizing.
I was so captivated that I read the book in just two days, and was sad to leave the characters behind when I finished.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters of the Sari.