Marilyn Rondeau's Reviews > Dance Upon The Air

Dance Upon The Air by Nora Roberts

Apr 02, 11

Read from March 26 to April 02, 2011

This first installment of Robert’s Three Sister’s Island series gives a great prologue setting up how the island was formed as well as to its naming. In trying to escape the mayhem of the Salem witch trials, three sisters formed an island sanctuary that has survived the centuries and where their descendants still live - some accepting their gifts, others not.

In this a young woman, Nell Channing has been running for her life after staging her own death to escape a brutal husband and has found the island. Nell formed an immediate attachment to it the moment her feet hit the soil. With little in the way of money or possessions she meets Mia Devlin who recognizes Nell’s aura and helps her to settle in with both a job and place to stay. Nell also meets Ripley Todd, who no longer believes in her gifts, and her brother Zach, the sheriff, whom after a time Nell falls in love with. Danger is coming to the island and Nell’s visions show a bloody knife in terrifying nightmares, leaving her to wonder if she should stay and fight or keep running.

*** I loved, loved, loved this story! It had everything I could have imagined in character development, setting, romance, and more! In other words it was a perfect read, even if it was something I listened to in this audio unabridged version. It did bring about a bit of deja vu though, making me think of the Julia Robert’s movie SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY, however this was much, much deeper and well thought out. Ms. Roberts development of Nell in showing us how Nell started out from the bottom and with enormous culinary talent, drive, and hard work began to build an incredible new life for herself. {Nell’s recipes and descriptions of her daily concoctions made my mouth water.}

As Nell started to carve out a new career for herself, Robert’s used Mia Devlin to introduce and begin to teach Nell the natural gifts she possessed but hadn’t been aware of which were passed down to the three sisters descendants. Along with Nell, Mia’s interaction with Ripley (the other descendant who refused to use her gifts) added another layer to this fantastic tale.

Then of course Ms. Robert’s created Zach Todd, every woman’s idea of the solid, handsome, loyal and perfect love interest for Nell. It wasn’t love at first sight, more love at first bite, considering Nell’s culinary genius! Robert brought their romance along slowly and in lovely detail as Nell learned to trust and admire a man for his goodness instinctively knowing that he would never raise a hand to harm her as did her abusive husband. Not forgetting that legally Nell was still married, a romance developed but because of Nell’s secret, a lie albeit by the sin of omission. There would be angst of course, but this again only added to a real life scenario of dealing with what life brings to the table.

All in all, this was a phenomenal read (listen) and I am digging out the other two books of this series to indulge myself in Ms. Robert’s marvelous tale and brilliant prose. This is highly recommended reading.

Marilyn Rondeau, for www.ck2skwipsandkritiques.com
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance Upon The Air.