Boof's Reviews > The Apprentice

The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen

Apr 08, 11

bookshelves: read-in-2011, thrillers-mystery-crime, usa
Read from March 26 to 28, 2011

After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly similar modus operandi to his predecessor, The Surgeon; in fact some of the details and clues that The Apprentice leaves behind were not even released to the public and, being the lead investigator on the case, Jane Rizzoli is having a horrid case of déjà-vu. And just when she thinks it can’t get any worse, her old nemesis The Surgeon escapes from jail…

In this book, Jane Rizzoli plays a larger part that the first book, stepping to the fore in all her ass-kicking glory. I completely love her character and the fact that we get to see and know her vulnerable side as well as her bossy, no nonsence side. As well as trying to track down a new killer and an old foe, she also has to deal with another thorn in her side in the shape of dishy FBI agent, Gabriel Dean who has an uncanny knack of appearing by her side when he isn’t wanted.

This is also the first book in which Medical Examiner, Maura Isles, makes an appearance (despite it being called the Rizzoli and Isles series, she isn’t present in the first book). Maura is just as aloof as Rizzoli, working hard to assert herself in a mans game, but she is notably different by her cool and methoidcal approch to her work (and black hair and red lipstick which earns her the nickname of “Queen of the Dead”).

Once again, this is fast-paced and thrilling: Tess Gerritsen certainly knows how to develop and deliver a cracking read! Once again, I whipped through this in just a couple of days and dove straight into the next one…..

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apprentice.

03/26/2011 page 122
28.0% "Can't read these books quick enough at the moment! Loving Tess Gerritsen!" 2 comments