Mad Scientist's Reviews > Stay

Stay by Deb Caletti

Oct 06, 11

bookshelves: arc, 2011, contemporary-fiction, high-school, netgalley, nook, ebook, young-adult
Read from April 09 to 16, 2011

Posted at http://madsteampunkery.com

Concoction of a Review:
First of all, I'd like to say Deb was really brave to write about such a taboo subject, terror to healing. In this novel she takes the obsessive boyfriend that has been glorified in many YA books and shows the truth of the matter. Obsessive relationships are not loving, actually they are the opposite. However intense this book is, the writing is detailed and easy to read. Your heart might pump a bit from the suspense of this scary situation but that is a good thing. For the Mad Scientist at least!

This book has a rotating chapter setup; past and present.

Past: Instant attraction! Christian is pretty much literally crazy for Clara. Sure he was a wonderful charming guy in the beginning... until he became co-dependent on her. He does not have an assured self esteem which leads him to text, call, and follow Clara to no ends. She moved and reacted in a way to prevent hurting his feelings or to cause a problem she knew would arise. When you are put onto a pedestal you are slowly blinded because of the power "love". This so called love started to smother Clara into noticing how much she actually walked on egg shells for Christian, instead of being herself. Christian is inclined to different acts of desperation to get Clara to... Stay.

Present: The obsession became an escalated scary possible life threatening situation. Her father said enough was enough, he moved them away to a small coastal city where no one knew who they were. You could see their witty adorable banter and friendship. We follow Clara through her healing process as she works through what has happened to her.

In the cute coastal town Clara edged around mending her heart and creating a friendship with a local sailor, Finn. He was a wonderful cheerful lad who made me swoon for him just a bit. Yes, I admit it. However, I was surprised that the friendship started to blossom that had me shocked. Such little time did Clara have from coming out of a destructive relationship where she still feared Christian to entering unrealistically fast into a new one with Finn. I did enjoy Finn so. Nonetheless, I felt the message being relayed said a new guy helps take care of the old one. Hmm... I wholeheartedly disagree, I woman can be strong and amazing all on her own. Trust me! *wink wink*

Although, this story is tense and pulls on the heartstrings the footnotes that you find at the bottom are clearly quirky fun that are more then often going to make you laugh! The Mad Scientist oh so enjoyed them!

Overall, Deb Caletti has a very well written story that has the past and present interwoven perfectly so that they are soon one in the same at the end.

4.67 Blasts
Truthful, intense & amazing! Engrossing & well written! Why wouldn't you want to pick up this novel?
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stay.

04/10/2011 page 61
04/10/2011 page 61
19.0% "The smell of coffee woke me, and so did those seagulls, insisting on whatever seagulls insist on."