Stephanie Pasaribu's Reviews > Song of the Bird

Song of the Bird by Anthony de Mello

Apr 23, 11

Read in March, 2011

This book is actually a 'summary' version of several books of de Mello, but now it is in a comic version. In the beginning I thought it will be the same with the ones that I have read (I have read ALL Tony's books!), but I found it is so refreshing! With the pictures that so vivid and expressive, I didn't feel bore at all to read it again and again. I think the idea to 're-write' it in visual way is brilliant! Many of the stories in this book are about religions and human relations. However, Tony has succeeded to make me see my faith from another point of view, particularly about how I do it as a 'ritual'. He has really broadened my horizon!

On the back of the book, you will find the short biography of Tony, written by his younger brother. It makes this book has a personal touch, also I can feel 'closer' to Tony. When I read it for the first time, I was not feeling really good about my life, but somehow it gave me strength and urged me to see my life from (again) a broader horizon and very different angle. This is the speciality and precious talent of Tony I believe. I wish I can meet him before he passed away. However, I am still so grateful every time I read Tony's books. I realize, when I read his I am convinced he is really an enlightened man. The one in the millions!

In conclusion, this book is really recommended to read (as also for other books of Tony). For those who feel hopeless, confused, and feel down because of your life situations (whatever it is), read this book and you will laughing at yourself, your life, and your silly and normative ways in seeing life! Below is one of his words I remember and like the most:

"Pulanglah sendiri, kembalilah ke indramu! Apakah kau dengar burung berkicau? Bagaimana kau dapat mendengar lagunya, bukan penyanyinya? Bagaimana kau dapat melihat ombaknya, bukan lautnya? Bagaimana kau dapat melihat tariannya, bukan penarinya?"

ENJOY READING! :) :) :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Song of the Bird.