William Herschel's Reviews > A Kayak Full of Ghosts: Eskimo Tales

A Kayak Full of Ghosts by Lawrence Millman

Apr 01, 11

bookshelves: own, 2011, sexuality, cold-places, short-stories
Read in March, 2011

There's a feeling of honesty in the folk tales, like there is nothing hidden, because all these gruesome things are laid out in the open, often with irony and an odd sense of humor. I have a weird and equal reaction to these of repulsion and a source of comfort.

The book didn't have any information on the stories except for where the compiler heard them told. I felt this was unfortunate, as this would have been a lot more rewarding if some of the customs and especially taboos of the cultures were elaborated on.

I keep coming back to them. I don't know. I have a weird attraction to the stories and I don't know if my apprehension is inherent to the stories or something ingrained in me from such a differing culture. I liked how the stories were often more about telling a lesson or laying out some harsh reality more often than anxiety-producing warnings that I usually associate with other folk tales.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kayak Full of Ghosts.

03/26/2011 page 19
9.0% "A big culture-shock as an initial response, but I think I'll really like these..."