Jessica (a GREAT read)'s Reviews > One Hundred Candles

One Hundred Candles by Mara Purnhagen

Mar 28, 11

Read on March 28, 2011

Mara Purnhagen's One Hundred Candles was just as exciting and thrilling as Past Midnight! I managed another 1 day read! Yay! And truly I couldn't put this book down despite its quickness.

The pacing was done rather well and it was a somewhat shorter book than my average ones. And with a well paced plot the pages just flew by! And this time the ghost story gets a little scarier and hits closer to home. The ghosts still tend to gravitate towards Charlotte and not all ghosts are as friendly as her first set.

The book opens up with Charlotte and her family on a ghostbusting case waiting for Leonard Zelden, a man who specializes in demons, Charlotte's dad is very skeptical of him and believe he's a phony, but allowing him to work on this "case" with them was the only way they could enter the house. But when something goes eerily wrong, and Charlotte is injured, they call it quits early.

Charlotte's school life is as normal as can be and she's very happy about that and things get even better when Harris Abbott, the football star, starts paying more attention to her. Still conflicted with her feelings for Noah, Charlotte agrees after some pushing on Avery's part. And after a seance at a party she and her friends attend that seemed like a bust, strange things begin happening at school. Charlotte is sure it's just some student's idea of a prank, but others are more convinced.

There is still something very supernatural going on despite the pranks and Charlotte and her family are walking into a bout of something that is deeply dangerous.

There were quite a few shocking--and one not so shocking, to me at least--surprises towards the end of the book that made it very exciting! The tension just skyrocketed up when it was still pretty high to begin with! I so cannot wait til August 23 to read Beyond the Grave!

Overall rating 4.5/5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Hundred Candles.