Robyn's Reviews > Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien

F_50x66
Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

Like most young children of my era I saw the animation based on this book several times, and enjoyed it thoroughly. I only managed to read the novel it was based on much later, and was pleased and surprised by what I found: a moving story which also tackled quite a few real life themes and problems. The depth of this book was wonderful, and it was just completely awesome to have some of the gaps from the movie filled in, and to see the subtlety and range that all of the characters have.
O'Brien seems to excel in writing these sorts of books, either intended for very intelligent children, or adults who want something a little different. This is much denser and more idea packed than a lot of YA fiction, while still maintaining enough interesting story and wonderful characters to stay interesting. It would have been very easy for this book to become preachy about the plight of lab animals, but there are no such absolutes, here. This book is varied, layered and complex, making it another good introduction to adult literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.