Robyn's Reviews > The Gun Seller

The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

F 50x66
Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: reviewed

Hugh Laurie's novel was both surprising, and in places, a bit disappointing, but the surprising bits more than made up for the disappointing ones. The quality of the prose (especially in the first half) was wonderful, witty and very, very funny. The plot is something that keeps you on your toes, Laurie often merely hints at certain plot developments, and leaves you to puzzle it out your self. The main character is enticing with wry observations and certain turns of phrase that create a wonderful and unique voice. The secondary characters, however, tend to be rather broadly drawn, and could have used a bit more filling in. The way events unfolded was exciting, and I found myself so busy being smug predicting one development, that another surprised me. Parts of this were sheer genius, and a real delight to read, but I found myself wishing by the end that he had spent more time on it. The ending feels a bit rushed, with almost no real denouement, and I would have liked to have a few things wrapped up a little tighter. Also, some of the tension the novel could have had was ruined by the first person voice. After all, the person who's telling the story is really unlikely to die. For a first novel however, this shows some real promise. When Mr. Laurie has a break from his acting, I really hope he takes up the pen again, as I really feel a second effort from him would far exceed the shortcomings of the first.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gun Seller.