Paradoxical's Reviews > Dragonquest

1964421
Mar 26, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reading-list, books-otherwise
Read in March, 2011

I feel like reading this book was a lot like wading through muck, and that there are times when it's easier and times when you're so bogged down it makes going really tough. I grew rather bored with various characters and very few of them really interested me. It doesn't help that I dislike ever shifting POV changes. It definitely didn't help when (view spoiler)

I found myself more interested in Jaxom, though that might be my nostalgia talking since I've always loved Ruth best. Admittedly, i skimmed very quickly over the parts that didn't interest me as much. It wasn't all terrible (though, uh, part of that is probably my nostalgia as well) because fire lizards! Dragons! Such a huge sucker for these still that it's almost ridiculous.

The way the book resolves felt anticlimactic. In fact, how the villains are just quietly nudged into the background (or are indisposed and thus not of consequence anymore) was a bit of a let down--somehow the reader expects a little bit more and this book doesn't really deliver. Overall, 2 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonquest.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Astraea I think McCaffrey thinks it makes it more interesting if the girl fights even when she is willing. If Brekke had just stayed calm and let F'nor proceed slowly and guide her through it carefully, it would have been pleasant and perhaps a bit more realistic (for a willing first-timer) but she has to go for the dramatic effect. Brekke loved F'nor and had made her decision that she belonged in the Weyr with its different morality. It doesn't make sense for her to put up a fight when she's finally with the guy she cares about.

Paradoxical It was rather disgusting to read, to be honest. The entire scene just read wrong.