Beth's Reviews > Saturday

Saturday by Ian McEwan

F_50x66
Feb 23, 08

Recommended for: If you are a deeper thinker than I, maybe you can explain it to me.
Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I may change this number of stars. It started out fairly slow but seems to be picking up and according to the reviews on the book the last 5 pages are scintillating.

Update. Upon finishing this book I am not sure I understand why it got such good reviews. I was not impressed. There were some serious leaps of faith e.g. "Well that is QUITE a coincidence!!" Maybe I am not getting it but it was supposed to be some sort of neo-realism along the lines of White Noise by Don DeLillo but I found it very rambling. There were areas where he went into way too much detail and other areas where I felt were either resolved too neatly or there were obvious conflicts that would have come up in a given situation that he completely ignored. Here is an example. SPOILER ALERT: He spends 5+ pages describing a squash match but then barely more than that describing the main character's family's victimization of a home invasion. Then the main character doesn't exactly distinguish himself defending his family although it turns out all right in the end and they have the guy's wife act like he was the big hero, when he wasn't. He essentially got lucky and took advantage when the opportunity presented itself.

The only thing I can imagine is that possibly this is the whole point of the book, that people get caught up in the minutiae of life and don't notice when big things happen. I'm not sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saturday.