Ashley - Book Labyrinth's Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Aug 18, 2014

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley, for-review, book-boyfriends, favourites, new-adult, my-books, five-star-plus, young-adult, contemp-ya-recs
Read from March 25 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy

This is absolutely the type of book that you want to read in one sitting. It takes you in and doesn’t want to release you. Like its predecessor, ‘If I Stay’, ‘Where She Went’ packs an emotional punch, though it’s a bit of a different type of one. Like many people, I fell in love with Adam in ‘If I Stay’, so I loved reading from his perspective. It made me love him even more, despite some of his behaviours. Some people will probably complain about Adam’s emo outlook on life, but for some reason I felt like I could understand his character’s pain. While this doesn’t justify all of his actions, it certainly explains them to a degree.

Gayle Forman writes so beautifully, I can hardly stand it. When she writes an emotion, I feel it. I was tense and sad right along with Adam, and when he felt joy, I could feel it too. I think this is why this book works so well. You feel things right alongside the characters, and you empathize with and cheer for them. The tone of these books is just absolutely gorgeous. I feel like there’s a certain silence to ‘Where She Went’ until music reappears as part of Adam, and then it was like I could almost hear a soundtrack for the book in my head.

If you loved ‘If I Stay’, believe me, you definitely want to read this one. Just run out and get it, because you will not be disappointed. This book is a whole lot more than a sequel. It’s like a retelling of the loss from ‘If I Stay’, but it's also a whole new beautiful journey. It’s about forgiving yourself and growing into who you are after scraping away all the pain and the hurt. It’s also about love, growth, and honesty. ‘Where She Went’ is a gorgeous story, a continuance of Adam and Mia’s story that you do not want to miss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

Quotes Ashley Liked

Gayle Forman
“It's my turn to see you through,' she whispers, coming back to me and wrapping me in her blanket as I lose my shit all over again. She holds me until I recover my Y chromosome.”
Gayle Forman, Where She Went

Gayle Forman
“You know, I thought about that a lot these last couple of years," She says in a choked voice. "About who was there for you. Who held your hand while you grieved for all that you'd lost?”
Gayle Forman, Where She Went