Kelsey Ketch's Reviews > Delirium

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Jul 07, 12

bookshelves: young-adult, science-fiction, romance
Read from July 23 to 28, 2011

Delirium was an intriguing romance. The concept of a society believing that love is a disease instead of a wondrous emotion was the reason I picked up the book in the first place. But, the plot emulates the tragedy of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. Don’t get me wrong, Romeo and Juliet is a classic. It’s just not my cup of tea. I’m a lover of Twelfth Night, The Tempest, The Merchant of Venice, and MacBeth.

There were aspects that I liked such as the excerpts from the futuristic books on amor deliria nervosa (a.k.a. the delirium or love) at the beginning of each chapter. It gives you a sense of what these children were raised to believe and an understanding of Lena’s fears as she starts to experience the symptoms of the delirium. The other aspect was Alex. He was a lot of fun, even cocky at times, and I loved his depth and passion. I kept reading just so I could learn more about him and the world he came from.

So, basically, if you really love Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, then you will probably love Delirium.

For more book reviews, you can also visit my website over at Ketch’s Book Nook. Thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delirium.

07/25/2011 page 69