Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)'s Reviews > Darklands: A Vampire's Tale

Darklands by Donna Burgess

Mar 26, 2011

Read in March, 2011

This was the opposite side of the coin from The Truth About Vampires that I reviewed yesterday. It was the dark, seamier side of being a vampire - complete with lots of gore, violence, and sex. The majority of the story takes place in a little seaside town called Dunwich. This is where Susan and her brother Peter were living when he was killed. She had since moved away, but when Devin reentered her life they wound up back in Dunwich. It was not the Dunwich she remembered though, and I loved the was Ms. Burgess made you feel like you were in a deserted town that was filled with transients, lost souls, druggies. . .very dystopian. Like many seaside towns it is complete with an amusement park, long since deserted, which contains creepy aspects all by itself.

She fills you in with just enough of the past through flashbacks to leave you wanting to know more about the main characters and how they became the people or things that they are in the present. As this is just the first book in the series though, she doesn't give you everything. There is still a lot of history between Kasper and Devin that is unknown.

I liked Susan's character and how she changed through out the course of the book. In the beginning she was just a young college kid looking for a good time - which inevitably led to her brother's death. Now, years later, if you didn't look too close, you would think that she had a pretty good life and relationship with her live-in, Michael. Underneath though, she still seemed to be drifting, never really getting passed Peter's death.

When Devin resurfaces after all this time, it doesn't appear that she willingly goes with him, but that he forces her hand. I think she was just looking for an excuse to leave her mundane life and try to figure out where she fit. I see her becoming stronger throughout the book and beginning to embrace her new lifestyle - to go from just surviving to actually fighting to survive.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darklands.