Melissa's Reviews > Random Acts of Senseless Violence

Random Acts of Senseless Violence by Jack Womack

Mar 26, 2011

bookshelves: apocalyptastic
Read in March, 2011

An unexpected pleasure. I'm not sure why this book showed up in my hold queue; maybe I read a review that Dan liked & filed the title away? In any case, welcome to the diary of Lola, a 12-year-old who lives in a New York that the army half-occupies, where TB is rampant, where the only job her father can get is in a giant bookstore working 80 hours a week for a sadist (and you thought your boss was bad!) & the President has been assassinated so often, no one cares anymore. It can be very hard to get into the passive-voice, past tense slang that Lola's writing becomes - for example, "I headshook not knowing but hoping not. 'Hear' I said. 'Nada's wrong with me cause I girl exclusive. If you and Iz like boys too that's your life. She help me with that and there's no denying.' Jude stared me updown like I dumfounded her. 'Girl that's not what's meant. 'We're tribal. You're not. Her flinging with you's a catkiller nada more. Am I incoming or not?' - but I'm glad I stuck with it. The story is well worth it (although I find myself mentally asking people, "What's meant?" all the time now).

I have one nitpicky, spoilery rant. (view spoiler) And if you look at it that way, you can continue to be haunted and weirded out & sad about Lola for the next week or so just like me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Random Acts of Senseless Violence.