Heidi Miller's Reviews > The Devil and Preston Black

The Devil and Preston Black by Jason Jack Miller

Dec 18, 11

bookshelves: kindle, seton-hill-writers, signed
Read in March, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Preston is sexy. Preston is driven. Preston is in bed with the devil.

Not that he knows it at first, but he certainly finds out as tragedy befalls those he cares about most. In his search for a father he never knew and a sense of family he never felt, Preston is easy prey for the demons which haunt us all, only Preston's demon manifests itself as the sultry, charismatic Dani, a Czech linguist who offers Preston a warm bed and nights of delirium.

His saviors are long dead musician father figures like Joe Strummer, John Lennon, and Jerry Garcia. But perhaps the man who helps him the most is Jamie Collins, a simple music ethnographer from his home state of West Virginia.

Together Jamie and his niece Katy guide Preston in the knowledge that the music will save him.

Setting details and snappy dialog move this thriller along at an absorbing pace. Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil and Preston Black.

Quotes Heidi Liked

Jason Jack Miller
“Here's how I'll tell you what I think—if you see white smoke then you know I picked a new pope. And if I'm drinking a Snapple then you know I don't give a shit.”
Jason Jack Miller, The Devil and Preston Black

Jason Jack Miller
“Preston Black couldn't sleep the whole night through, Preston Black couldn't sleep the whole night through. He'd lay in bed 'til the morning came, but the devil'd visit him just the same. Preston Black couldn't sleep the whole night through.”
Jason Jack Miller, The Devil and Preston Black