Arielle (Chimneys and Magic)'s Reviews > Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Feb 02, 14

bookshelves: bought
Read in January, 2014

What niggled at me most I think was the writing. I was quite unimpressed with Collins' writing of this final instalment which was quite a stark contrast with how I felt about The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, both of which I thought were written marvellously.
It's been a couple of years since I read Catching Fire and the hunger games, and I'm sure if I'd read Mockingjay back then I would've enjoyed it much more because since then I believe my readings tastes have changed slightly. I didn't particularly like how it was written in present tense, and Katniss' voice was irritating at times.

In terms of characters... some of the characters I loved and grew fond of quickly, like Finnick and Boggs; others I thought were kinda 'meh' like Coin, Johanna and Plutarch; and main characters like Katniss, Peeta and Gale even grated on me at times because they seemed so different to how I remembered them, or they seemed to have changed so much and changed in a way I didn't like. Katniss seemed overbearing, irrational and irritating most of the time (it's bad enough we have to read the story from her first person POV), Peeta wasn't the same Peeta (which is not his fault, he was tortured so I excuse him), and Gale in this book made me jump off the Team Gale bandwagon and onto incoming traffic. I was unimpressed with Gale's decisions and opinions, and I was not amused by how he kept whining about how Katniss doesn't love him like she loves Peeta blah blah blah.

The most powerfully moving moments I remember involve Finnick and Boggs, for those who've read Mockingjay you'll know what happens to them both. Boggs relationship with Katniss was sweet and necessary because katniss really didn't seem to have too many people she could trust and he was one of the very few. Finnick was the star of this book and he shone more than any of the main characters - he revealed some significant info about Snow and the Hunger Games, he went through a lot of hardship, believed in Katniss, got Annie back, and then... the last bit.

All in all, I really should not have waited years to read the last book. I should have read it straight after Catching Fire because I definitely would have enjoyed it more. Prolonging the experience kinda ruined it for me I guess. I was disappointed with the writing, and some of the characters - things I probably wouldn't have been disappointed with if I had read it back then. Back then before the films were made. Back then when Panem was a fresh and vivid and exciting and thrilling world I could delve deep into so easily.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mockingjay.

02/02 marked as: read