Mike's Reviews > The Heart of the Matter

The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene

Feb 17, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: africa-africans, fiction-drama-poetry, ml100, z-read-in-2008, the-1940s

I started reading this many years ago and thought it sucked, so I abandoned it. I picked it up recently to check it out again because I'm on a new Graham Greene kick (and also on an Africa kick), and read it all the way through this time, and guess what? I still think it sucks. I call it a much lower-quality product than your average Graham Greene. That's why I'm surprised that this is the one and only Graham Greene novel that the Modern Library puts in their top-100 list. This is sub-par Greene as far as I'm concerned. I find the story and the theme and just about everything else about this contrived, tiresome, tedious, uninspired, uninteresting. Also, almost nothing about this novel really rings true to me.

Well, I guess it just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste! Don't ever get me started on All the King's Men or Catch-22 or Henderson the Rain King, either. Those are three more examples of novels that are fawned over by critics that I absolutely hated!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heart of the Matter.

12/04/2016 marked as: read