Becky's Reviews > What Would Jane Austen Do?

What Would Jane Austen Do? by Laurie Brown

Apr 05, 11

bookshelves: historical, contemporary, fantasy-paranormal
Read from April 02 to 05, 2011

Honestly, I'd probably give this one three and a half stars...What Would Jane Austen Do? is a cute story with a fun premise--not terribly believeable, but fun. Costume designer Eleanor Pottinger has been disillusioned by her former fiance and is in England for what would have been her honeymoon but is now a working vacation including an annual Jan Austen convention. When her reservation is lost, she agrees to sleep in the inn's haunted suite of rooms. There, she encounters a pair of ghosts in distress who transport her back to Jane Austen's time in an attempt to right a wrong from their past. I really enjoyed the principal characters, especially the two sisters/ghosts of the house, Mina and Deirdre. My only issues, if you can call them that, are that many things, especially at the end, are a bit rushed and a little too simplistic and that at times the conversation seems a bit stilted and awkward. (There's even one of those moments where the villian reveals all to us, and it just didn't seem to be written in a terribly realistic way.) There are also a few issues with accuracy, but they really didn't get in the way of my enjoyment. All in all, it was a fun read and I do look forward to seeing more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Would Jane Austen Do?.

Quotes Becky Liked

“I once heard an author describe writing as taking bits and pieces of her experiences and observations, then she questions, dissects, and analyzes them. She extrapolates from them, stretching the thought out. Then she adds from her imagination a big dose of what might have been, a good measure of what would never be, and spices it all with wishful thinking.”
Laurie Brown, What Would Jane Austen Do?