Christy's Reviews > The Apothecary's Daughter

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen

Mar 25, 11

I didn't realize this book was categorized as "Christian Fiction" until I read some of the reviews here when getting ready to post my own. It was a decent book with a definite "feel-good" quality but I felt it was a bit drawn out for the story being presented.

I gave this book 3 stars for two reasons: first, I felt that the author didn't really convey a Christian message in the story - I felt it was mislabeled, and this going into the story with no preconceived notions what it was about (got it free from the Kindle store because the description there was interesting). If I had gotten this book with the intention of reading something geared toward religion I would have been highly disappointed. This book should definitely go in the "Historical Fiction" section, imho. The "religion" that is mentioned (which is more toward the last third, give or take, of the story) seems more period-related than intentional (in regards to conveying a spiritual or religious message in terms of common current "Christian" view points).

The other reason for my rating was the drawing out of the story, but perhaps I was swayed to wish the book would end because I was anxious to know the outcome. That could technically be a plus, depending on how you look at it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Apothecary's Daughter.