Mikaela's Reviews > Inheritance

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Before I begin this, I'd like to say that it's a rant. For those of you who don't like ranting- Don't read it. I actually happened to love this book, but I'm just a tad mad at the ending at the moment.

Dear Christopher Paolini,

How. Could. You.

(view spoiler)

Sincerely,

A Very Angry Fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inheritance.

Quotes Mikaela Liked

Christopher Paolini
“As he was about to leave, she said, "Murtagh."
He paused and turned to regard her.
She hesitated for a moment, then mustered her courage and said, "Why?" She though he understood her meaning: Why her? Why save her, and now why try to rescue her? She had guessed at the answer, but she wanted to hear him say it.
He stared at her for the longest while, and then, in a low, hard voice, he said, "You know why.”
Christopher Paolini, Inheritance

Christopher Paolini
Why does everything have to be so hard? [Eragon] wondered.

Because, said Saphira, everyone wants to eat, but no one wants to be eaten.
Christopher Paolini, Inheritance

11/24/2011 page 200
23.0% "Stop staring deep into her eyes and just kiss her already!!!"
11/25/2011 page 500
58.0% "OMG! NASURTAGH! YAY! I love them together! PLEASE tell me they at least get a happy ending? Actually, don't. Cause I just KNOW they won't. Damn Paolini and his evil writing." 4 comments

message 1: by Tusialei (new)

Tusialei Well I'll certainly need to re-read the entire series before I read this one too Mikaela. Is this out though??? You can't buy books on goodreads though, right? Hmmm...I'll check up on it. Haha..reminds me of that check up on it song by Beyonce. Haha.

message 2: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela According to goodreads this book comes out... November 8th this year, so we have a bit of time to re-read the series! :)

Maggie I re-read these every now and then :). I totally agree with you about Arya and Eragon. I will come to your bonfire!

message 4: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Woo! If it's that bad, I'll have a huge book burning party and invite everyone who's read this series. ;P

message 5: by Chrissy (new) - added it

Chrissy I totally need to read these series again too! (And have to buy the 2nd book while im at it - i borrowed it off a friend at the time lol). I have missed this series soooo much! So glad there's a fourth!

message 6: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela I'm re-reading them atm, and they're definitely as good as I remember (if not better!). They're one of those series that you can read again and again! <3 Aryagon. They so need to hurry up and get together.

message 7: by Chrissy (new) - added it

Chrissy I hope they are! I'm a bit worried that it won't get me interested in them again since its been like 10 years since i read the first one! "/

message 8: by Sarrah (new) - added it

Sarrah i loved this series i watched the movie then went to the library and borrowed the book and now the movie makes me so mad!! its taken long enough for this new book to be finished my bet is it wont finish open ending with eragon leaving on saphira

message 9: by Mikaela (last edited Aug 29, 2011 12:25AM) (new) - added it

Mikaela I definitely agree about the movie- though I loved jeremy irons as Brom the rest of them stunk. Especially eragon, even his semi-hotness couldn't make up for his fail acting!

And if they leave it on an open ending, I'm revisiting my threat of burning the book! That would seriously stink. JUST HAVE THEM GET MARRIED AND HAVE PRETTY ELF/HUMAN/RIDER BABIES!

Sorry. You can tell this is a subject close to my heart. :)

message 10: by Eric (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eric B They won't get togeather you twit. It will have to happen in the fith or sixth book because this series can't be ended in just four books. Look how much more needs to happen. If he ends it with this book it will be crap and then I will join you in the book burning. Otherwise, give it a chance. Besides they shouldn't be togeather anyway. If you want stupid romance, go read Twilight with its sparkly vampires.

message 11: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Eric wrote: "They won't get togeather you twit. It will have to happen in the fith or sixth book because this series can't be ended in just four books. Look how much more needs to happen. If he ends it with thi..."

That comment was so helpful. (detect any sarcasm there?)

There is no fifth and sixth book. It's called the "conclusion" for a reason.

And everyone has an opinion, maybe you should try to respect that.

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah Eric wrote: "They won't get togeather you twit. It will have to happen in the fith or sixth book because this series can't be ended in just four books. Look how much more needs to happen. If he ends it with thi..."

And don't call my friend a twit.

message 13: by Dom (new)

Dom LOL you go girlfriend!

And you are evidently the twit because you think there will be a 5th and 6th book... maybe you should read twilight as it seems to be for someone of your intelligence Eric

message 14: by Kay Kay (last edited Feb 07, 2012 01:36AM) (new)

Kay Kay .. just to add. I hate to cause insult to anybody, but calling someone a twit for stating their opinion steps over the line. Your condescending tone in regards to “sparkly vampires” is very disrespectful as well and completely unneeded. If Ayra and Eragon did end up together how could that be stupid romance and thus to be compared with Twilight? The only parallel is the one of the each couple is not human. Twilight had stupid romance because of the characters and the way they were portrayed.
Evidently YOU find comfort in twilight as you and Stephenie Meyer both have something in common; grammatical mistakes.
"It can't be ended"?
Wrong. I believe you were trying to say the series “can't end.”
Shall I get started on the spelling mistakes?
However this said and done, I hope you do apologize for your remarks because we are all united in our love of reading... when the line is not crossed.

message 15: by Kay Kay (new)

Kay Kay Stating the obvious here, but that comment was made for Eric.

Selfpsycho more like Roran hatches the last egg as a family thing

message 17: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Selfpsycho wrote: "more like Roran hatches the last egg as a family thing"

Hm. I don't mind that idea. I think that'd be okay. I still can't believe it's almost released! It seems like such a long time since this series first came out.

Rebecca I think Nasuada would be made a Queen and Roran will be the head of the army or something. I don't think it will be anybody we expect, who will hatch the last egg. I think it will be a shock and an intriguing twist. I actually can't wait for this book to come out now!

message 19: by Rjs (new) - added it

Rjs I seem to remember: in the first book, eragon had a dream. Whether it was real or no, he was on a ship, and two dragons soared overhead. Thinking to his fate of what angela told him, i guess that was saphira and another, probably not murtagh since the friction b/w him and everyone, on a ship. Angela said he'd have a long life. He's had people and angela say he will leave alagaesia and never return. My guess is perhaps arya. The book seem ascending toward their relationship, so this pry makes no sense, but thats my guess and a dragon would tie nice seeing as its male, and saphira needs a friend and mate. thats my guess for what its worth

message 20: by Dom (new)

Dom That is an excellent guess!!! kinda along the lines of what i was thinking with Arya too

message 21: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela I like that. Hope that it's true, cause it makes sense and would fit nicely with the plot :)

message 22: by Josh (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josh Taylor There are already 4 dragons - why would the other egg need to hatch? Was the color of the kings dragon ever told?

message 23: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Yes, I'm pretty sure Shruikan was black. Of course, the egg may not hatch, and the cover may just be in reference to a dragon who is already dead. Who knows?

KatharinaM Ich just finished re-reading the series and have to agree with you about Arya and Eragon, especially since they seemed to get on pretty well at the end of the third book. Otherwise I'm really diggin' your bonfire idea ...

message 25: by Jane (last edited Nov 13, 2011 07:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Mikaela wrote: "Jane wrote: "I believe that Roran will die and leave Katrina as a widow, and DUH! ERAGON AND ARYA WILL BE TOGETHER!!!!!! Oh, and Murtagh will die (just saying)"

I hope not, I hope so (PLEASE!), ..."

*Update*
Just finished the book :( and (spoiler alert) I can't believe the ending! I thought that when Eragon was leaving on the ship that it would get all romantic and Arya would realize that Eragon was her true love and chase him down and go with him! But noooo... And why wasn't Firnen so important? He didn't do much and yet he's on the cover. Where did Murtagh go? Will he and Nasuada get together? *crosses fingers and mutters "Please, Please, PLEASE!!!* Also I want to know more about Angela. Paolini got all cryptic when she came around in the story.

message 26: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Jane wrote: "I believe that Roran will die and leave Katrina as a widow, and DUH! ERAGON AND ARYA WILL BE TOGETHER!!!!!! Oh, and Murtagh will die (just saying)"

I hope not, I hope so (PLEASE!), and I SERIOUSLY hope not. :)I must admit to having a soft spot for murtagh!

Katty I totally agree. And Saphiraa better not die or anything like that in this last book! Or Arya. I dunno though, Arya has kinda been getting on my nerves but she and Eragon deserve to be happy.

Jovii yeah this book deserve a happly ever after ending but it is true alot is riding on this book they didnt even introduce Galbatorix yet (couldnt remember his name got to reread books) except for his voice i hope this book doesnt rush through the story

Daniel well if you have ever read a interview by Christopher he seems to hint Roran might get the Dragon.

Alexus I swear, if Arya and Eragon don't get together I'm gonna march right up to Montana and smack Paolini stupid.

message 31: by Jay (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jay Ditto Lol I agree with happy ending or gtfo and bonfire starts!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

You mind as well skip to the end and get the fire lit because I'm coming over. Instead of happily ever after, we get sadly never after. A permanent goodbye is all we are gifted with.

Rebecca I kind of wish that Roran doesn't get the dragon because it means he'll live on while Katrina and his baby dies.

Elaine Read the book! Some of you got the green dragon though the big romance built up through the series and then to just leave it annoyed me sooo much!

message 35: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 10, 2011 05:30PM) (new)

Elaine wrote: "Read the book! Some of you got the green dragon though the big romance built up through the series and then to just leave it annoyed me sooo much!"

*SPOILER!!!*

Nice to know I'm not the only one upset with the ending. Had Eragon and Arya just left together, I would have been so satisfied. But no, it had to be tragic. Eragon spent thousands of pages longing for Arya, and since the fourth grade I've day dreamed of them being together. And yet Paolini tore them apart *shaking my head..*

The worst part is: they never kissed. And they didn't really have more than two conversations where they admitted their love.

1000s of pages apart, less than 30 together. SAD

message 36: by Yuki (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuki Kay Kay wrote: ".. just to add. I hate to cause insult to anybody, but calling someone a twit for stating their opinion steps over the line. Your condescending tone in regards to “sparkly vampires” is very disres..."

technically Eragon isn't human anymore since the celebration/ritual in Ellesmera he now resembles an elf and has the strengh and reflexes of one.

message 37: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela I'm sorry- WHAT!? I have to get my hands on a copy of this book. I can't believe they didn't get together?

WHO'S WITH ME FOR THE BONFIRE PARTY???????

message 38: by B. (new) - rated it 1 star

B. Hale I'M WITH YOU!

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm with you!

KatharinaM Mikaela wrote: "I'm sorry- WHAT!? I have to get my hands on a copy of this book. I can't believe they didn't get together?

WHO'S WITH ME FOR THE BONFIRE PARTY???????"

Just give me a time and place ... I was SOOOO disappointed!!!

Maggie I thought it was a good ending but I hated it. Does that make sense? I mean it was "believable" as far as a fantasy can be believable but I also threw the book across the room.

Sonnie Very bittersweet ending. : /

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the ending. Even though it was a little bit sad, if Paolini would have had Eragon and Arya getting together he would be forced to write another book about the rest of their lives.

Jovii not really like they said the ending was good just have a bitter aftertaste ...if you keep thinking about it you will get mad

Lauren Elena Paolini said in his afterword that he will write more books in the world of Alagësia, he just doesn't know when.

message 46: by Jac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jac Jovian: I know exactly what you mean. I finished last night and the more I think about that ending... :(

message 47: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Finally got my hands on a copy! I'll let you know what I think of the ending.

Vaishnavi spoiler- they don't get together... arya admits that she likes him and he definitely likes her... but he leaves algaesia forever.

message 49: by Mikaela (new) - added it

Mikaela Ah men. They stink.

Morgan Oats Spoiler